Roasted potatoes, green chile sauce and black beans, tossed with barely wilted baby spinach made for a surprisingly delicious combination. When I thought about making breakfast this morning, I was craving Spinach and Potato Breakfast Hash.
However, I didn’t have everything I needed in order to make it. So, I worked with what was on hand. I loved this variation and I will certainly be making it again.
Black Bean, Potato and Spinach Hash
- 6 small red potatoes
- 1 large handful baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup black beans cooked and reheated, or canned beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1/4 cup green chile sauce
- 3-4 eggs
- kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside. (I like to place a Silpat mat on top of the tray and just coat the mat with oil.) Place the diced potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh pepper. Toss with hands to combine thoroughly and ensure that all pieces are coated in oil and spices. Spread potatoes across the oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and turn potatoes over on the tray. Bake 15 minutes longer until tender and slightly crisp on the edges.
- About 10 minutes before the potatoes are finished cooking, warm the beans and combine them with the green chile sauce. In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook the desired number of eggs. When the whites of the eggs turn white, add just a few tablespoons of water and cover with a lid to finish cooking the rest of the egg with steam. Remove from the heat before the yolks solidify. The goal is lovely runny yolks to mix in with the rest of the breakfast plate. Salt and pepper the eggs to taste.
- When the potatoes are finished cooking, toss them with the spinach and place them on a plate. Spoon the bean and green chile mixture over them. Top with eggs and serve immediately. Enjoy!