When I saw the leftover corned beef in the refrigerator, I imagined that a skillet of cabbage, corned beef and red potatoes would be tasty. I didn’t realize this would be so delicious that I would be craving it the very next day. My whole family enjoyed this meal and I can see making this dish a tradition each time I cook corned beef.
Sweet Potato, Bell Pepper, Onion and Sausage Hash with Beet Greens
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease or butter divided
- 3 medium red potatoes diced very small, about 1/4" in size
- 1/2 small yellow onion about 1/2 cup
- 1 cup cooked corned beef roughly chopped
- 1 small head of napa or savoy cabbage thinly sliced into strips, about 3 cups
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Melt 1/2 of the grease (or butter) in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the potatoes and toss to coat. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Cover with lid and cook for 5 minutes. Stir the potatoes and cover again. Cook an additional 4-5 minutes, until the potatoes are browned and fork tender. Remove the potatoes to a plate.
- Return the skillet to the stove over medium high heat and melt the rest of the grease. Add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring only once or twice while they brown. Add the corned beef and saute for 2-3 minutes, breaking it up as it warms in the skillet. Add the cabbage and season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine and cover with lid. Let it cook until the cabbage is bright green and barely softened. Add the potatoes back in and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Enjoy!