When I saw this posted on Joy’s site last week, I knew I’d be making it soon. I just couldn’t resist and now I am so glad that I tried it. This was absolutely wonderful. I changed a few things, to work with the ingredients I had on hand, but it was still delicious!
This is now one of my favorite meals and I’m sure I’ll make it over and over again, for breakfast or for dinner.
The leftovers were delicious as well, but don’t ask my husband how the leftovers were since I actually hid them in the back of the fridge. I’m not exaggerating when I say that we loved this dish.
Spinach and Potato Breakfast Hash
- 1 green bell pepper diced into medium chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion diced into medium chunks
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes cut into bite-size chunks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 6 ounces hot sausage cooked and crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 to 4 eggs fried to desired doneness
- Optional: Black Beans Salsa Verde
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F. Place diced potatoes on a lined baking sheet and drizzle with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake potatoes for approx 30 minutes, or until cooked through. Poke the potato chunks with a fork, if they're tender they're done.
- While potatoes are baking, cook and crumble the sausage and then set aside. heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan, over medium heat. Add the diced peppers and onions and cook until browned and broken down, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as it cooks. Add the minced garlic, and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from pan and place in a bowl to the side.
- When potatoes are done roasting, remove from the oven.
- Return the pan you cooked the onions and peppers in to a medium flame. Add the sliced, cooked sausage and potatoes. Fry a few minutes or until crispy, if not already crisp from the oven. Add the onion and pepper mixture and fold to incorporate. Remove from the flame and add spinach leaves. Toss to incorporate and wilt the leaves.
- Transfer the hash to a serving dish. Season with salt and pepper as necessary. Fry as many eggs and you'd like and serve over hash. This is also great mixed with black beans and salsa verde for dinner. Enjoy!