Baked oatmeal, loaded with the summer’s fresh berries and lightly sweetened with honey is a great way to start the day. With all the berries in season right now, they’ve made their way into several breakfast dishes lately.
Our strawberries have been very sweet this year, so I swapped the usual sugar in the oatmeal for honey and I really enjoyed the change. The oatmeal wasn’t overly sweet and it allowed the slight tartness of the other berries to shine through.
My youngest son loves oatmeal so much, he attempts to order it at almost every restaurant we visit. There’s nothing quite like watching the waiter’s face as he requests, “A big bowl of oatmeal, please,” while we are dining at a Mexican restaurant. Luckily, he loves chips and salsa almost as much, so it’s an easy sell.
Check out all of our Oatmeal Recipes!
Summer Berries Baked Oatmeal
- 3½ cups old fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger optional
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1¼ cup milk
- ¾ cup chopped strawberries about ½" pieces
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup sliced almonds optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 pan with butter. Stir together the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the melted butter, eggs, and milk. Stir to coat. Gently fold in the berries and the almonds, if desired.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 26-30 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool about 10 minutes before serving.