Tender roasted sweet potatoes are drizzled with a garlicky lemon herb butter to make this the side dish of my dreams. I think I ate about half of these potatoes right out of the pan after I shot these photos.
This is on my favorites list now and luckily, the whole family loves these sweet potatoes.
While chatting with my cousin Hannah about different food pairings, we stumbled on a combination of lemon and basil with sweet potatoes.
Knowing how lovely butter is with just about everything, I figured that this recipe idea needed to happen as soon as possible. So, we picked up sweet potatoes and lemons the next time we were at the store.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Roasted sweet potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes for any meal. This Roasted Sweet Potato and Spinach Hash is on my breakfast (or my dinner) table at least every other month, if not more often than that.
Have you tried Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Pineapple? or Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Peppers and Sausage? There are endless ways to enjoy roasted sweet potatoes and I could happily eat them every day.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Lemon Butter Sauce
To make these potatoes, you simply toss bite-size chunks of sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast them until lightly browned and crispy on the outside. While the potatoes are roasting, you’ll brown some butter, add plenty of garlic, a few basil leaves, and a splash of lemon juice. Saute until richly fragrant and then remove the basil leaves.
Add the roasted potatoes to the skillet and toss to coat or alternatively, transfer the potatoes to a serving dish and drizzle the sauce over them. Sprinkle with basil and squeeze more lemon over the potatoes.
Kitchen Tip: I use my Everyday Pan to make this recipe. (I actually use that pan pretty much every single day!)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, chopped into 1-inch pieces, about 6-7 cups worth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 whole basil leaves
- 2-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 4 basil leaves, sliced very thin
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and toss with your hands to coat thoroughly.
- Spread the potatoes in a single layer across the baking sheet. Roast the potatoes until fork tender, browned, and crisp on the outside.
- When the potatoes are almost finished cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When it begins to brown, lower the heat and add the garlic and whole basil leaves. Saute for about a minute until fragrant. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Stir and remove from the heat.
- At this point, you can either add the hot potatoes to the skillet and toss to coat, or you can transfer the potatoes to a serving dish and drizzle the sauce over them. Sprinkle the coated potatoes with the remaining basil and squeeze more lemon over the potatoes. Enjoy!