In my family, Waffles-with-Waffle-Sauce is all one word. Waffles just aren’t waffles without the sauce.
Waffles are comfort food at its best. Breakfast or dinner, they are guaranteed to make me happy.
Whole Wheat Waffles
I don’t order them from restaurants and I only like them with my Grandma’s Waffle Sauce. Yes, it should be capitalized.
I’ve never served waffle sauce to someone who hasn’t fallen in love with it. Waffle sauce is not an everyday food for us, but it does have the ability to make an ordinary day extra special.
Have you ever used fresh nutmeg? Nutmeg is my favorite spice to use fresh, because the aroma and the flavor are unforgettable.
Thanks to my sister Jenny’s suggestion, we started grating fresh nutmeg over my grandmother’s waffles with waffle sauce years ago and ever since, I’ve been grating nutmeg every chance I get.
Don’t be intimidated by this hard as rock spice. It’s easy as can be to use and once you’ve tried it, you’ll likely be as hooked on it as we are.
FREEZER MEAL: This recipe makes (18) 4″ square Belgium waffles. I freeze the extras (four in a gallon size ziploc bag) and they reheat perfectly in the toaster for easy breakfasts.
I often double the waffle sauce recipe as well and freeze the extra amount in small containers for individual breakfasts.
Whole Wheat Waffles with Waffle Sauce
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups milk * increase this to 3 1/2 cups if you are using all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter melted
- Waffle Sauce
- Preheat waffle iron. Whisk together dry ingredients and set aside. Whisk together the eggs and milk. Combine the milk mixture with the dry ingredients and whisk well. Slowly add the melted butter and whisk to combine.
- If you are using freshly ground whole wheat, let the batter rest for 10 minutes before cooking the waffles. Letting it rest allows the fresh wheat to absorb more of the liquid and it will thicken the batter.
- Cook the waffles and start making the waffle sauce. Pour the warm waffle sauce over the waffles and grate or sprinkle nutmeg over the top. Enjoy!