Green Chile Waffles with Cheddar and Bacon are the latest cheesy waffle deliciousness to hit our table. If you’ve been hanging out with me here for long, you likely know just how big my weakness is for savory waffles.
If you happen to love sweet OR savory waffles anywhere near as much as we do, don’t miss Day 3 of the Christmas Giveaways! I’m giving away my favorite Cuisinart Double Belgian Waffle Maker to one lucky reader.
These waffles are filled with bacon, cheddar cheese, and green chile, making them my oldest son’s favorite waffle. That kid will happily eat almost anything if it is filled, smothered, or otherwise topped with green chile.
Cheese adds so much flavor to waffles and I’ll let you in on a little secret. Having tried so many different combinations this year, I stumbled on a tip for you.
Store-bought pre-shredded cheese is my choice for savory waffles. Freshly shredded cheese melts into the waffles almost completely and doesn’t result in the same cheese pull when you break them apart.
Pre-shredded cheese results in a more cheesy bite overall and requires far less cheese in the recipe to accomplish that. Which leaves you with a lighter, fluffier, crispier waffle that still delivers plenty of cheese flavor.
Cheddar Bacon Green Chile Waffles
- Preheat the waffle iron. Stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the milk and eggs. Whisk to combine. Stir in the butter.
- Add the cheese, the green chile, and the bacon and stir once more.
- Pour batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook until lightly browned.
- When finished cooking, transfer the waffles to a wire rack on the counter.
- Serve the waffles handheld or with an egg and/or sausage gravy on top. Enjoy!
Cheddar Bacon Green Chile Waffles are a great make ahead breakfast for fall.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour *
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup chopped green chile
- 2/3 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- Rosemary Sausage Gravy (optional)
Preheat the waffle iron. Stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the milk and eggs. Whisk to combine. Stir in the butter. Add the cheese, the green chile, and the bacon and stir once more.
- Pour batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook until lightly browned. When finished cooking, transfer the waffles to a wire rack on the counter.
Serve the waffles handheld or with an egg and/or sausage gravy on top. Enjoy!
*Gluten-Free Alternative: 1 1/3 cups brown rice flour, 2/3 cup tapioca starch, and 1/4 cup potato starch may be substituted for the all-purpose flour listed in the above ingredients.
FREEZER MEAL: Let the waffles cool completely, before storing them in an airtight zip-close bag. Reheat the frozen waffles in a toaster oven or in the microwave.