My kids can stir together a baked oatmeal recipe and get it in the oven all by themselves now. They typically ask if they can make it at least once a week.
This baked oatmeal is loaded with peanut butter and bananas and lightly sweetened with honey. I had the idea for it a while back and I’d scribbled out the recipe already, so I handed my notes to my 10 year old and went to relax with my morning coffee while he made breakfast for all of us.
(Side note: I thought I’d really miss having little ones in the house, but having older kids has turned out to be pretty awesome!)
My youngest declared this one of his best breakfasts ever and begged for the leftovers the next day. Another great thing about baked oatmeal is that most of the time, we get two meals out of it. It freezes great and keeps nicely in the refrigerator for a few days as well.
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 medium very ripe bananas mashed, about 1 cups worth
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Topping Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- sliced bananas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x10 or 9" square pan with butter. In a large glass bowl, heat the peanut butter and the honey in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir and heat an additional 15-20 seconds, as needed, to liquify the peanut butter. Stir in the mashed bananas, sour cream and eggs. Add all remaining ingredients and stir again. Pour into the greased pan. Bake for 35 minutes, until a knife comes out mostly clean. Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
- While the oatmeal is cooling, stir together the peanut butter and honey in a small glass dish. Slice the oatmeal into squares and serve topped with banana slices and drizzled with peanut butter and honey. Enjoy!
- FREEZER MEAL: Let the oatmeal cool completely and then cut or scoop into portions. Store the oatmeal in airtight freezer safe bags or containers. Reheat in the microwave with a tablespoon of water.