These Chocolate Covered Banana Bites are ridiculously delicious for something so over the top simple, with just a slight hint of coconut flavor and then rich chocolate alongside a bite of frozen banana. I have never been a fan of chocolate covered bananas. Do you remember when all the grocery stores sold kits for chocolate covered bananas? I would see that every time I bought bananas and I have never understood the attraction. The whole huge frozen banana just didn’t sound that appealing.
These little bites on the other hand? Oh. My. Word. I am so very glad that my children saw me making them, because I probably would have eaten them all by myself if they hadn’t been standing practically on top of me waiting to taste them. If bananas still aren’t your thing, check out the Chocolate Covered Kiwi Popsicles that we made last year.
- 2 small bananas
- 1/4 cup semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil use a refined coconut oil if you do not wish to have any coconut flavor
- Slice the bananas into 1/2" thick rounds and place them flat and untouching on a paper plate or a parchment lined baking tray. Set the bananas in the freezer and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Place the chocolate chips and the coconut oil in a small glass cup or bowl. Microwave at 50% power for 60 seconds, stir and microwave at 50% power for an additional 30-60 seconds just until the chocolate can be stirred. Stir for a minute or so, until the mixture is smooth. Line a small section of the counter or a baking tray with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Remove the bananas from the freezer and gently pierce them one at a time with a toothpick and dip them into the melted chocolate. Turn slowly to allow the excess to drizzle off and then place on reserved parchment paper. The chocolate will already be almost set. You can skip the toothpicks and simply drop the banana pieces one at a time into the chocolate and use two forks to lift them out and allow the excess to drip off of the pieces. Set the coated pieces onto the parchment paper.
- Eat immediately or place back into the freezer until ready to eat. I loved the bites straight from the freezer with the frozen banana inside. My kids loved them both straight from the freezer and after a few minutes on the counter when the banana had softened a bit. Enjoy!