I’ve been making peaches and cream oatmeal all summer long; filled with soft pecans and sweet peaches, this is a memorable breakfast. (I save a couple peaches to make this oatmeal almost every time I buy fresh peaches.) If you dare to top your oatmeal with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, this really might be the best oatmeal you’ll ever eat.
We aren’t new to the ice cream and oatmeal combination. If you haven’t tried ice cream with your oatmeal yet, you are missing out on some serious awesomeness for your breakfast! While it sounds crazy at first, I figure that a small scoop of ice cream has to be comparable to a spoonful of sugar and a splash of milk, right? If I’m wrong, don’t tell me, okay?
The first time I made this oatmeal was over a year ago. My kids had spied the peaches on the counter and they begged me to put the fruit in their oatmeal. Even knowing that I had planned to make more jam wasn’t enough to change their minds. I’ll give them credit though; the oatmeal was a great choice. We have a well-known history with oatmeal in this house. Made in the oven, on the stove or even in the crock-pot, we definitely love our oatmeal!
Check out all of our Oatmeal Recipes!
Kitchen Tip: I use this saucepan to make this recipe.
Peaches and Cream Oatmeal
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup pecans chopped very small
- 2 large peaches chopped small, about 1/2"
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 1/4 cups water
- Toppings: brown sugar honey, maple syrup, half and half, milk or cream, ice cream
- Combine all ingredients, except the toppings, in a medium size saucepan. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. When the oats are tender, remove from the heat. Portion into serving bowls and add the toppings of your choice. Enjoy!