Red potatoes seasoned with Mexican spices are roasted and then tossed with sauteed onions, peppers, black and white beans along with a handful of barely wilted warm spinach.
Topped with a soft egg or scrambled eggs, this is a deliciously spicy weekend breakfast!
Potato, Red Pepper, Black and White Bean Hash
- 8 small red potatoes diced into 1/2" - 3/4" bite size piece
- 2 red bell peppers roughly chopped
- 1 large yellow onion roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup cooked black beans or 1/2 can drained
- 3/4 cup cooked white beans or 1/2 can drained
- 3-4 cups baby spinach
- Eggs 1 per person, cooked to preference
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease if available, butter or olive oil will work as well
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mexican Spice Mix to taste, Taco Seasoning would work also
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, drizzle the potatoes with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, enough to coat all the pieces. Sprinkle generously with the Mexican spices, I used at least a tablespoon and ours were pretty spicy. Spread the potatoes across 2 large baking sheets lined with silpat mats or greased with oil. Bake until the potatoes are tender and slightly crispy on the outside. This took about 30 minutes for me, it will vary depending on the number of potatoes.
- While the potatoes are roasting, chop the peppers and onions. Warm the grease in a very large skillet over medium high heat. Add the bell peppers and onions to the oil and saute stirring constantly until slightly tender and still crisp, about 5 minutes. Season the vegetables generously with salt and pepper while cooking.
- Add the beans and about a tablespoon of Mexican seasoning. Stir well and reduce the heat to medium. Continue cooking to heat the beans for just a few minutes. Add the cooked potatoes and toss to combine. Add the spinach, tossing again until the spinach is barely wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Cook the eggs as desired and serve an egg on top of the warm hash for each person. Enjoy!