Hot pinto beans, green chile sauce, warm scrambled eggs, jalapenos and melted cheese are piled on top of a layer of crisp tortilla chips. While the combination might sound bizarre initially, it was an excellent way to satisfy our craving for a spicy hot breakfast.
The nachos were an enormous hit with my whole family. My favorite part? The whole meal came together in less than 20 minutes.
Inspired by a craving for huevos rancheros on a morning when I had little time to cook, this was a very fast alternative that came together in the time it took to scramble the eggs.
I’m already thinking about a whole bunch of different flavor combinations for future breakfast nachos.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3-4 eggs lightly whisked
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans or 1 can drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup green chile sauce store-bought is fine as well
- sliced jalapenos if desired for topping
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend or the cheese of your choice
- 3 handfuls tortilla chips
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Pour in the eggs and gently scramble them. Let them cook without messing with them too much. Season with salt and pepper. When the eggs are barely solid, remove from the heat. You want to avoid overcooking them, because they will finish cooking in the pan while you assemble the nachos.
- While the eggs are cooking, stir together the beans and the green chile sauce. Warm in the microwave for a couple minutes, or in a saucepan on the stove until hot. Spread the tortilla chips across the serving plates. Top with the beans and then with the eggs. Add jalapenos, if desired. Sprinkle with cheese and then microwave each plate for about 20 seconds just to melt the cheese. Alternatively, you can assemble the nachos on a large baking tray and then melt the cheese in the oven for a couple minutes. Enjoy!