How To Eat Salad Every Day And Like It!

274 Comments 4.9

This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.

Jump to Recipe

Love these salad recipes? Check out the eBook for How To Eat A Salad Every Day for more fantastic salad ideas, dressings, and tips to simplify your salad making!

With this eBook, if you’re grocery shopping, meal planning, or just trying to eat more salads, you’ll have this information at your fingertips whenever you need it.

How To Eat Salad Everyday & LIKE IT! (aka the Fritos everyday diet!) get the recipes for each salad at barefeetinthekitchen.com

“How To Eat Salad Every Day And Like It!” could also be called “My FAVORITE Salads {a.k.a. the Fritos Every Day Diet}.”

This post was first published three years ago and almost immediately it became one of the most popular posts on this site. I’m updating the post today to answer some of the more frequently asked questions.

Many of you have commented on my daily salads that I share on Instagram, and you asked for a post sharing tips for making the daily salad happen.

Today I’m sharing all of my favorite salad recipes, the toppings, fillings, and more in one giant blog post. I promise you now, that if you give it a try, this just might rock your salad eating world.

I made you this video to show how I do this. Be sure to check it out!

While I’d like to say that I’ve always been a fan of salad, that hasn’t always been true.

I’ve always tried to love eating salad, but unless I went to the trouble of making a really great salad (something that often felt like a whole lot of effort in the past), it was hard to get excited about eating a salad most days.

That all changed when I topped my salad with a handful of Fritos for the first time. I know, that sounds completely ridiculous, but I’m telling you now that Fritos are a salad game changer.

Not only does that simple corn chip add great salty flavor and crunch to any salad, the Frito fits perfectly on a fork, it is bite-size, and it’s a fun way to tell all the greens that there is more to the salad life than just vegetables.

How To Eat Salad Everyday & LIKE IT! (aka the Fritos everyday diet) get all the recipes at barefeetinthekitchen.com

Still not convinced? I can’t even tell you how many people have snapped me pictures of their salads with Fritos on top while laughing and telling me that I’m to blame for their newfound love of salads + Fritos.

I swear that there really is no better way to top a salad.

Salad Ideas

There are countless ways to make a killer salad completely your own, so I’m sharing some of my favorites today. The key for me is to prep all the greens and the vegetables for the salads about once a week; I typically do this on Sunday.

It takes me about 30-45 minutes, but in the end, I have lunches made for the week and that keeps my healthy eating on track without having to fuss with it during the week.

I use 6 large containers that I line with a paper towel. The paper towel absorbs moisture and as a result, the greens and other vegetables will stay fresh longer. (I use these containers and these containers to store the prepped salads.)

How To Eat Salad Everyday and LIKE IT! get the recipes at barefeetinthekitchen.com

SALAD RECIPES

(any combination of the below ingredients will keep nicely for several days in the refrigerator)

chopped greens: typically a mix of romaine, spring mix, spinach, arugula, or butter lettuce (rarely all of them, just whichever ones I have on hand at the time)

tomatoes: sliced or chopped

cucumber: sliced or chopped (I often remove the seeds, but it isn’t required)

corn: canned, frozen, or fresh

bell peppers: sliced thin or chopped small

red onions: sliced thin

green onions: sliced thin

The proteins can be made just for the salads or simply be saved as leftovers from dinners through the week.

Anytime we grill steak or chicken I thinly slice the leftovers and save them for my salads.

I’ll cook and crumble a couple pounds of ground beef or ground turkey seasoned generously with Mexican seasoning mix (store-bought taco seasoning works great too) and then portion it into 1/2 cup servings and freeze it to use as needed.

Anytime I make pulled pork, I portion the leftover pork into individual containers and freeze them to be reheated for salads.

SALAD PROTEINS

taco meat: with black beans and corn

pulled pork or carnitas: shredded and chopped bite-size

cooked or roasted chicken: shredded or diced

ham: diced

hard boiled eggs: chopped

canned tuna fish: drained well

cooked shrimp or fish

beans: black, kidney, or pinto beans

How To Eat Salad Everyday & LIKE IT! Just add your favorite proteins - get the recipes at barefeetinthekitchen.com

SALAD TOPPINGS

cheese: shredded, diced, or crumbled

avocado: sliced or diced

fruits: diced apples or pears, orange slices, fresh berries

plenty of crunch: croutons, tortilla chips, or my personal favorite Fritos

fresh lime

salt and pepper

salad dressing of your choiceItalian, Poppyseed, White Balsamic Vinaigrette, and the absolute BEST Homemade Ranch Dressing are a few of our favorites.

WHEN READY TO SERVE

Warm the protein and chop it bite-size, if needed. Add the protein to the pre-made salad greens and vegetables. Add the toppings of your choice, although Fritos are never optional.

How To Eat Salad Everyday & LIKE IT! get the recipes at barefeetinthekitchen.com

Love these salads? Check out the eBook for How To Eat A Salad Every Day for more fantastic salad recipes, dressings, and tips to simplify your salad making! (link for the eBook is at the top of this post!)

With this eBook, if you’re grocery shopping, meal planning, or just trying to eat a little bit healthier, you’ll have this information at your fingertips whenever you need it.

Get New Recipessent to your inbox!
We never share your information with third parties and will protect it in accordance with our Privacy Policy.
How To Eat A Salad Everyday & LIKE IT! (aka the Fritos everyday diet!) get the recipes at barefeetinthekitchen.com

Salad Recipes

4.87 from 37 votes
Make eating salad as easy as can be with these tips for easy salads every day of the week!
Pin Print Review
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
Course: Salad
Cuisine: American
Servings: 1 per salad made

Ingredients

• VEGETABLE OPTIONS: any combination of the below ingredients will keep nicely for several days in the refrigerator
  • chopped greens: typically a mix of romaine spring mix, spinach, arugula, or butter lettuce (rarely all of them, just whichever ones I have on hand at the time)
  • tomatoes: sliced or chopped
  • cucumber: sliced or chopped I often remove the seeds, but it isn’t required
  • corn: canned frozen, or fresh
  • bell peppers: sliced thin or chopped small
  • red onions: sliced thin
  • green onions: sliced thin
  • PROTEIN OPTIONS:
  • ground beef or ground turkey: cooked and seasoned generously with Mexican spices or taco seasoning
  • taco meat with black beans and corn
  • pulled pork or carnitas: shredded and chopped bite-size
  • cooked or roasted chicken: shredded or diced
  • ham: diced
  • hard boiled eggs: chopped
  • canned tuna fish: drained well
  • cooked shrimp or fish
  • beans: black kidney, or pinto beans
  • TOPPING OPTIONS:
  • cheese: shredded diced, or crumbled
  • avocado: sliced or diced
  • fruits: diced apples or pears orange slices, fresh berries
  • plenty of crunch: croutons tortilla chips, or my personal favorite Fritos
  • fresh lime
  • salt and pepper
  • salad dressing of your choice: Italian Poppyseed, White Balsamic Vinaigrette, and the absolute BEST Homemade Ranch Dressing are a few of our favorites.

Instructions

• Prep the vegetables and place in serving size containers. (I use these containers and these containers to store prepped salads. Add a paper towel to each box to help the produce last longer. Place in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
  • WHEN READY TO EAT:
  • Warm the protein of your choice and chop bite-size, if needed. Add the protein to the pre-made salad greens and vegetables. Add the toppings of your choice. Squeeze lime generously over the salad, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Or toss with your favorite salad dressing. Enjoy!

Notes

Try topping your salads with these combinations: Carnitas (or pulled pork), avocado, cotija cheese, lime, salt, and pepper Grilled chicken, bacon, hard-boiled egg, cheddar cheese, ranch dressing Chicken, berries, feta cheese, almonds or walnuts, poppyseed dressing Tuna fish, strawberries, avocado, lime, salt, and pepper Chicken or bacon, red grapes, shaved parmesan cheese, candied walnuts, white balsamic dressing Taco meat, beans, corn, avocado, shredded Mexican cheese blend, lime, salt, pepper * don’t forget to add plenty of crunch to each salad!

Nutrition

Calories: 50kcal
Tried this recipe?Mention @barefeetkitchen or tag #barefeetkitchen!

Pin this nowto remember it later
Pin this recipe0

{originally published 1/7/17 – recipe notes updated 1/2/20}

How To Eat Salad Everyday & LIKE IT! (aka the Fritos everyday diet!) get the recipes at barefeetinthekitchen.com

Filed under: , , ,

Related Posts

Mary Younkin

Mary Younkin

Hi, I’m Mary. I’m the author, cook, photographer, and travel lover behind the scenes here at Barefeet In The Kitchen. I'm also the author of three cookbooks dedicated to making cooking from scratch as simple as possible.

Reader Interactions

274 Comments Leave a comment or review

Rate & Comment

Rating

You can now include images of your recipes in your comments! You'll need to register or log in to upload images.

1. Leann says

I started adding those crispy fried onions like you use for green bean casserole as a topping for my salads. I like the Frito idea, too, though!

2. dezi says

Okay, this cracks me up…..but I am going to give this a try because I love both of these elements. Thank you.

3. Jennifer says

Every time I see your Frito-topped salads on Instagram I think I need to try that, but never came to your blog to see if there was a post about it. I open your blog today and what do I find…it must be fate!! This is going into rotation for next week’s lunches.

4. sandra says

OMG! You have solved all my salad eating problems. You are a genius, this is such a great idea. I too love salads but always felt this is too much work for a salad. I can’t wait to get started on your way of making salads for a week. Thanks! My best to you.

5. Sherry says

I love this. Trying stay healthy and overcome diabetes which is horribly genetic on maternal side. Have lost family members from the devastating affects.

6. Jane says

The salads sound doable and full of flavor. Most times I dislike the whole process of making salads, even as a side with dinner, because I detest unwrapping, cleaning up and re-wrapping all of the veggies. So this is just super for me.

A few questions:
    I noticed that some of my veggies that contain a lot water like peppers and cucumbers get soggy and less flavorful soon after they are cut. Some mixed varieties of lettuce, especially the baby ones, wilt faster than others and then make a mess of the rest. Will this happen even though I’m using the paper towel?

Also wondering why you use lime in most of the salads?

I love to share recipes on my blog. May I do so in my next post with a link to your blog?

Thanks for your clever ideas, Mary! 🙂

Jane x

• Mary says

Yes, the paper towel helps a LOT with keeping the salads nicer. I like the way that lime brightens up all the salad flavors. I rarely use a salad dressing and so, the lime with some salt and pepper works for me most of the time.

I’m thrilled you like the salad ideas. You’re welcome to link to them from your blog. Enjoy!

• Jennifer says

So I know this is a stupid question but are you putting the paper towel on top after you add everything in the container or is the paper towel on bottom?

• Mary says

I usually place the paper towels at the bottom of each container, but if I forget, I just place one on top of the vegetables and flip the container over. (It probably isn’t necessary to flip the container, but I tend to do it anyways.) It works just as well. Happy salad making!

• Alicia Jensen says

I like the idea of putting the paper towel on top and flipping the container. That way when it comes time to dress the salad you can easily remove it.

• Kristi says

I only ever dress a salad with citrus (lemon or lime, depends on the price), olive oil, salt and pepper.

Chick peas, fresh beetroot, carrot and hommus are also a winning combo!

This salad post is my life.

• Mary says

I’m thrilled that you’re enjoying all these salads! I LOVE citrus, salt, and pepper on a salad. That’s by far my favorite as well. Happy salad eating!

• Amanda says

Hi! I love this idea and love to make salads for lunch. I was wondering if you could share some of your combinations that use together in each salad. I’m always looking for new ideas!

7. Carol A Malone says

I’m not sure why it is that eating a salad I have to make is awful. I’d much rather eat a salad that someone else makes or get one at a restaurant. But you’ve given me some terrific ideas to try. I especially love the Fritos idea. The look delightful. Thanks for your help.

8. Donna says

Love your ideas. I have one question though, you say you line the container with a paper towel, are you placing that paper towel under or on top of the vegetables?

• Mary says

Either way works. I typically line the containers first. However, if I forget, I just add the paper towels on top. I hope that helps!

• Deedee says

I’ve been looking for a way to keep my salads fresh all week. I thought about the paper towel in the bottom of the bowel, but I wasn’t sure if it would work. I’m going to have to give it a try. Thanks!😀

• Mechelle says

What do you do with the paper towel when you are ready to eat the salad since its at the bottom of the bowl?

9. Stephanie says

This seems like such a simple concept, but alas, I have never thought of portioning out all my lettuce or greens into a week’s worth of containers at once. Love this idea! Even though I do use paper towels in the large box the greens come in, I usually have the gross wet stuff anyway by around day 4 or 5. I bet smaller portions helps with that! Thanks, Mary!

• Leanne says

I started using the plastic lettuce knife looks like a chef knife for cutting the greens and it works very well I no longer get soggy rusty lettuce. Is awesome!

10. Jen says

This might sound weird, but try adding some chopped pecans to your Mexican themed salads. You won’t be disappointed.

11. Susan says

I’m a Frito fan too! Also crushed up black bean or whole grain Tostitos are yum! I looove trail mix…any kind of trail mix…on my salads. Great crunch of nuts/seeds with a few pieces of dried fruit…can’t beat it!

• Brenda Chalcroft says

They also have crunchy jalapeno strips now…would be great on a taco or Mexican theme salad.

BC

• Brenda Chalcroft says

Also, in the Asian section of the grocery store next to the chow mein noodles you can find small tins of crunchy “rice noodles”. They would be good for anyone wanting Gluten Free crunch I think.
      BC

12. Ktryna says

Hello,
    I love salads and right now I’m on a diet. Herbalife to be exact.. I guess my question is the calorie intake. Do you think this is a great meal for someone dieting or should anything be omitted?

• Mary says

Most of these salad combinations with a 3-4 ounce portion of protein added are under 300 calories. (Definitely check the math yourself though and make sure the ingredients work for you!) I add 1/2 – 1 ounce of Fritos and it’s always under 400. So, for me? That’s an awesome lunch or dinner.

13. Casey says

Just found your site, love it! I am going to definitely try this for this upcoming work week! I can’t wait to try the frito trick!

14. [email protected] says

I absolutely love your photos! I try to eat salad several days a week but on those hectic days when I didn’t prep ahead of time I find myself eating whatever is left in the fridge. Not always a good idea by the way. The photos make it look attainable. Thanks for the inspiration! Saving to pinterest…now!

15. Hannah says

Are these good for loosing weight? I noticed that there is a lot of fatty stuff like the croutons, chips, cheese, dressing

• Mary says

It has certainly worked for me. It’s all about how much of those “extra” items you are adding. 1/2 – 1 ounce of Fritos adds an awful lot of texture, crunch, and flavor while only adding 80-160 calories to the salad. That is absolutely worth it to me. A sprinkling of cheese and a “light” amount of dressing doesn’t add much either. Making the salads delicious and interesting to eat makes eating a salad something I can look forward to every day. Most of the salads listed and pictured here are around 300-400 calories. I hope that helps!

16. Cathy says

Another thing I do is buy diced grilled chicken or diced ham cooked and ready to put in salad
    For crunch buy the parmesan crisps, they are good. I eat salads every day, never get tired of them!

• Mary says

I love parmesan crisps! I’d forgotten about them. I haven’t bought them in ages. I just put them on my grocery list again. Thanks!

17. Rebecca Dewey says

Do you spray lemon juice or something on your avocados to keep them such a pretty green? These salads look amazing!

• Mary says

I’m so glad you like the salads! I do not spray the avocados. I add them with the proteins when we’re ready to eat the salads. The avocados won’t stay nice in the refrigerator if you add them with the vegetables to prep ahead.

18. Janice says

I’ve been adding corn chips to salad for years (mainly taco-style salad) and it’s so delicious! Thanks for the other useful tips as well.

• Mary says

Yes, I prep all the vegetables as outlined in the recipe directions and they stay nice for 5-6 days worth of salads.

19. Evie Curley says

I used to put Fritos on my sandwiches when I was in school! I think I could eat them with about anything. Thanks for all of these salad suggestions. I’ve been trying to find a way to eat more salads and having them all prepped ahead of time would be a great way to encourage me to actually do it!

20. Corinne says

I love these ideas. We eat a lot of salads (and love them) in our house and I am always looking for new or different ingredients to add to them. I also have had issues in the past of too much water in the salads when I make them ahead, be it from the tomato or the cucumber. I usually put those two into a separate container and just add them to the salad when I eat lunch. I have a tip to add myself: when I get home from shopping, I will chop up all my lettuces and keep them in a large plastic container in the fridge, lined with paper towels. When we want a salad, we just grab it and go.

21. Kathy G says

I use coffee filters to keep my produce fresh. When you bring home a bag of greens add a couple of filters to the bag – top, bottom and middle of the bag. I also wrap those wonderful baby cucumbers in coffee filters. You will be surprised at the outcome.

If you don’t want to take the time to create your own salad bowls at home, create them at salad bar at the grocery store. I actually use 5 separate containers to make lunch for every day of the week. You can use your own protein if you like.

• Mary says

I’m glad these ideas help you! Sometimes I eat the proteins cold as well, depending on where I am and how much time I have for lunch.

22. Jayrah says

I think this is such a good idea. I salad with FRITOS?! I’ve done Doritos, now I need to try Fritos! Thank you.

• Mary says

Yes, I prep all the vegetables in the boxes with a paper towel to absorb moisture. I add the proteins and toppings when I’m ready to eat. I hope that helps!

23. Josie says

Growing up for me, Fritos were the ONLY chip used for taco salads and that was pretty much the only time mom would buy them. I still adhere to that rule (the Fritos on taco salads part…..NOT the only time to buy them part!) as an adult. Never thought of using them on other salads but I think they might be too salty for me but that is a personal choice! Love your enthusiasm!!!

24. Acatlady says

You can save those salad containers that have the tray on top. There are also frozen meals with a tray on top. Then store your toppings there like they do in the premade grocery store salads.

25. Brandy says

Do you put the protein on right before you eat the salad or before you store it for the week? Just wondering because I wouldn’t think taco / hambuger meat would taste that great without being heated up right before eating, even if it is very lean meat there is usually always a bit of greasyness to it cold.
    Looking forward to trying this out.

26. Valerie says

Love your ideas, thanks for the tutorial… especially adding the Fritos. Genius! Also heating up the protein options really make it, and has helped me to love salad for my work lunch now since the start of the New Year!
    Your photos are fantastic, too.

• Mary says

I’m so happy to hear that the salad combinations have been helpful and that you’re enjoying salad for your lunch now! That’s awesome. Thanks for taking the time to come and tell me!

27. Sandy says

This has likely been asked before but do you put the greens and veggies in the paper towel lined container then add toppings when ready to serve. Or are the veggies all together in their own lined container and added with the protein and toppings.

• Mary says

I store the greens and vegetables in the paper towel lined container. Then I remove the paper towel and add toppings when I’m ready to eat.

28. Pam Hallinan says

Well, I do love salad! (food in general) but these look so delicious I’m going to try them next week for work.

29. Mary Ann Pfender says

I made these salads last week, great idea and time saver since I watch my grandson 5 days a eeek and don’t have time to prepare these each day. Fritos were great too.

30. Evamarie says

I love this idea I started doing it last week on my own but would add the cheese, craisins, and pecans when I did it but things started blending too much. I’ll have to do it this way. When do the apples do you cut them right before adding them or do you have a way to keep them fresh if you cut them before work.

• Mary says

When I add apples, I typically cut them right before adding them. However, you can spray them with a bit of lemon juice and they should stay fresh for a few hours in the fridge.

• Mary says

No, the salads stay nice for several days when stored with a paper towel. The paper towel helps absorb any moisture that accumulates from the vegetables.

31. Sharon says

When I prepare salads ahead of time, the greens (spinach, lettuce, green peppers) become soggy & wilted after just a couple of days & aren’t edible by the 5th day. I have put a paper towel in the bottom of the container to absorb moisture & I use a salad spinner to make sure my greens are dry. Any other suggestions.

• Mary says

If you scroll through some of the comments, you’ll see that most of these salads average between 250-350 calories. Even with a full ounce of Fritos added to mine most days, it still comes in under 400 calories most of the time. For me, it’s well worth it!

32. Sophia says

I love this idea of Salas prepring this is so helpful, but I have a question, the paper towel is placed at the bottom but when do you remove it to eat the salad? also how do you reheat like the taco meat with corn and beans once everything is topped on the salad? are you peeping for the whole week or each day?

33. Lori says

Saw your post today and decided to give it a try. I’m on a no carb diet and try to do salads for lunch every day but I agree sometimes it just seems like too much trouble. Today I prepped my salad greens and put in containers with the paper towel. I can’t wait to see if the greens hold up. I put my meat and toppings in a separate container. I wish I could do the fritos because i love them, but they aren’t on my diet right now. Thanks so much for the ideas.

34. Brenda says

But how can I prevent the lettuce fron going bad? There was a study that saids that 90 percent of prepacked salad taht claim to be already wash had bacteria ao one must rewashed the salad againg at home, so i do that n i try to dry it as much as posible n fater the 3day the lettuce start to turn brown. How can i avoid that? Please help!

• Mary says

I don’t typically use bagged lettuces. I usually buy the head of lettuce, pull it apart, wash and pat dry. Then I chop it for my salads. I honestly don’t have issues with the salads going bad before the 5-6 day mark most of the time

35. Keri says

How do you freeze your protein? What containers do you use? And also how do you re heat your protein from frozen? Thanks! These all look delicious!

36. Melody says

Ok. This may be a stupid question, but do u remove the paper towel before you eat your salad? It seems it would mess yp the salad?

37. Paula says

I have a ?, do u prep the entire salad for all 5 days in the fridge or have 15 containers in your fridge and just take 3 containers a day to work, then combine?

38. Linda Gaulke says

Thanks for the great tips! I struggle with what to take to eat at work. Paper towels at the bottom of the container is something I’ve never even thought of. Genius!

39. T says

So I thought I would try this to inspire me to eat salads while I try to lose weight. I bought a bunch of the stuff here, and I only ate the bag of fritos….

40. Shawna says

So, to make it quick, are you able to have the salads completely prepped and in fridge to grab? Just add heated protein later? Or do you store everything in the separate containers and prep right before eating? Just trying to figure out where the paper towels come in and if things will go bad quickly! Definitely giving it a try, regardless!

41. Lea says

I am retired now so have lots of time to make salads. That being said, however, I don’t – probably because so much lettuce goes to waste. Since I do not need to make pre-made salads like I would have when I was working, I decided to make a salad bar!! I have a tray in my fridge that has a bowl of washed greens, smaller containers of other veggies, meats, cheeses, and dressings. I just have to pull the tray out, fill my salad bowl with whatever my taste buds hunger for at the time. I do like your idea of the paper towels in the bottom of the container, though. Will try that with my big bowl of greens.

• Elishajan says

I’ve been doing that too lately. Putting all toppings in little dishes and replenishing them when necessary. My family loves the salad bar every night.

42. Teri McDonald says

Just saw this on Facebook. I really love your responses to some of the comments, common sense is a lost art. It’s the middle of May, I’m definitely going to start this salad today for myself and my daughter for the days we work it looks scrumptious and super super easy especially to prepare ahead we do that anyhow on regular lunch.

43. Engela du Preez says

Hey Mary,

Here in South Africa, paper towel is like a serviette. How does lining your bowls with this help keep the salad items fresh? Are we talking about the same thing? my thinking is that it would get all soggy with the salad items on top of it. Can you describe the paper towel you are referring to? I am so keen to try these salad ideas of yours.

• Mary says

You are correct, it is a dry towel. It absorbs moisture from the vegetables and helps keep the salad fresh for longer and the lettuces don’t get soggy this way.

44. Carol says

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU Mary for sharing the secret of THE BEST salad EVER…those doggone Fritos! I don’t care for them straight out of the bag but boy oh boy, crumble a small amount of them on top of a salad and holy smokes! Forget about croutons-these are THE BOMB! Yes indeed-I could eat salad every day….and pretty much do! I make a huge salad that lasts us for a few days and make SURE I have a bag of those corn chips on hand for the topping. My husband took a salad to work and forgot to bring that little bit of Fritos to “gild the lily” and he said it just didn’t taste right-he said he had to struggle to get it down without them. I agree! For anyone who hasn’t tried it-I highly encourage you to. Once you see what they add-you’ll never have a salad without that sprinkle of deliciousness.

Carol

45. Sara says

Just because you toss in ingredients with some type if lettuce doesn’t make it a salad. Most of these salads are so unhealthy but people will think they are because of the word.

46. Beth Nichols says

I like a cheeseburger salad. Similar base with lettuce then add hamburger toppings like tomato, onion, pickle. Use leftover hamburger, chopped and sprinkle with cheddar. Dressing is a mix of ketchup and mustard. You can cut the carbs — no bread and still enjoy your “burger”.

• Genie says

I do this too, it’ so good! Great for gluten free peeps who still love their burgers.

47. Anette says

So I just read an article that tomatoes and cucumbers should never be combined in a salad. The cucumber destroys the vitamin C in tomatoes and the two of them together cause all kinds of gastric problems. Other than that, I love your salad ideas!

48. Marsha Clements says

Have you tried prepping in wide mouth canning jars? I’ve read lots of ways to do a salad in a jar and part of it is that the salad lasts longer. Just wondered if you felt the salad lasted as long as in a jar.

• Mary says

I tried salad in a jar once and it was a pain to eat, so I haven’t messed with it again. It sure looks cute though. I can’t think of any reason why it would stay fresh longer though.

49. Genie says

Finally, someone besides me who agrees that salads need to have FOOD in them to be edible. Thanks for the great suggestions! I didn’t think of using pulled pork in a salad.

50. Jen says

I love these salads!! I just wish people would have clean…non nailpolished hands in pics. Yuck! But the salads seem great! 😉

51. Diane says

I love Fritos and would happily put them on everything…but when I realized they’re made with GMO corn, I decided I’d better curtail my enthusiasm. I hope Frito-Lay will take a hint soon and give us alternatives. I’d even pay for organic Fritos. 🙂 I only want them as a garnish…

There is one organic brand that’s similar to Fritos, not quite perfect but pretty good: Sage Valley. Not super easy to find but I’ve bought them a couple of times.

52. Kat says

Hello!
    Im a jung mum trying to loose weight. Of course I have never time to prepare. Does those salats realy stay fresh whole week? I shold only put a papaper towel inside and close the containers? Should i keep greens, salats and proteins separately? Should i wash greens before or only in the last moment? Thank you 🙂

53. Shelly says

I’m a salad lover but having a fresh salad ready for every day is such a hassle. This is the best post ever! I also love the crunchy Asian noodles in my salads or nuts or some kind of chip. Thank you for the container info, too. I have them in my Amazon cart ready to order!

54. Alicia Jensen says

So good! I’ve always loved salads, but I love them even more now. I also like to add fruit and nuts or seeds to my salads. Blueberries and strawberries are my favs. Sunflower seeds or pine nuts also give it a nice crunch.

55. Stephanie says

Love, love, love the paper towel idea! I’ve been a salad-lover for years, but found that I wasted a lot of lettuce greens and other ingredients after a few days because of moisture. I am definitely going to try this with individual and even larger containers. The single-serve packages of salmon (my favorite) and tuna on supermarket shelves make it so simple to add these to salads for your protein. No draining, no fuss! Thanks again for all of your salad recipes!

56. Becca says

I’ll have to try this, but something I think you should add to your arsenal of salad is…. red grapes. I know that sounds weird, but you put Fritos on a salad, it adds a burst and pop of sweet to a savory meal.

57. Rhonda G says

These all look delicious! My mother-in-law introduced me to using Fritos (although I prefer Old Dutch brand) years ago as a major component of taco salad and I LOVE it. The taco salad I make at her house (everyone assembles their own plateful) has Romaine lettuce, Fritos, ground beef (with or without taco seasoning), salsa, sour cream, mozza or cheddar, tomatoes. YUM! (My MIL enjoys shredded coconut on her taco salad which is something I tried only once – not for me lol!) At home the taco salad I make for myself has iceberg lettuce, warmed taco shells broken up, chicken breast grilled w/ bbq sauce diced (or plain poached chicken diced & reheated in frying pan), roasted corn kernels, cilantro & salt, diced avocado, sour cream and/or ranch dressing, mozza or cheddar. YUM again! But I could go on and on about meal salads – I love salads!!

58. Christine Hunter says

I have loads of fresh veggies from the garden and these would make a nice quick lunch for a hot summer day! I wonder if you have seen the easy way to slice cherry tomatoes? Just use two lids from your salad containers. Place as many tomatoes you can fit on a lid, place another lid on top of those tomatoes and use a long knife and slice through the tomatoes. Voila! An entire handful of tomatoes sliced in one pass! (you have to hold the top lid down).

59. Donna Barry says

Hi probably a stupid question but where do you put the paper towel that you talk about and when do you remove it???

• Mary says

I usually line the bottom of the containers with the paper towels, but you can also place the paper towels on top. When I have the paper towel on top, I typically store the containers upside down, so that the paper towel can absorb as much moisture as possible.

60. Coleman says

Thanks for sharing, I really need yummy food when i do some home workout and become sweating but most of time i don’t eat because of calories. Your article hope very helpful for me.

61. Jennifer says

Hey! I am prepping both my husband and me some salads for this coming week! 🙂 I was just wondering, how do you keep your avocados from browning? Thanks!

62. Maria says

My daughter (college student) BUYS her salads from a gal (her friend that does it as a side job) that does meal preps. The salads look amazing but I’m still reluctant to buy them for myself and my hubby. I always think “I can make those, I just need to figure out a way to make amazing salads” but never put that thought to use. And in my search of “salad recipes” what do I find?? Your blog!!! BAM!!! You are my savior!! I love, love, love.. did I say love? all your salad ideas!! THANK YOU!!! I am soooo going to start making these for my hubby and I!!

63. Kelly says

Has this made your diet healthier or have you noticed a weight loss eating salad daily? I’m looking for a cheaper healthier eating plan.5 stars

64. Theresa Augustine says

Love these recipes for my daughter at college. She is a vegetarian but minus the meat these are great ideas. She is always looking for other options other than college food!5 stars

65. Crawford says

Thanks for these salad ideas. I love salads but hate doing all the prep work
    Being on my own I waste a lot of greens5 stars

66. D says

Even if you paper towel the greens really well they dont wilt after day 3-5 i the frig. I want to try but don’t want limpy greens and soggy salad

67. Liza says

I do not like the idea of this. The only reason I want to eat salad is to lose weight, then I throw a handful of Fritos which is going to add a whole bunch of fat and calories that I myself do not want.3 stars

• Mary says

No one is forcing you to add chips to your salad. There’s plenty of deliciousness in these salads without a handful of chips.

68. DNN says

Salad is definitely good for the colon. It’s also a great side to have with fresh pressed vegetable and fruit juice, because all of it serves to clean the colon, support the body with digestive nutrients, and help the body stay healthy year round.

69. Amber says

How can i make salads like this without spice i cant do spice as it bugs me and i love salad but cant get anything to last longer then 3 days

70. Ricard says

When putting the items in the containers in the fridge do they need a plastic lid or leave them uncovered?5 stars

71. Elishajan says

What I do with the veggies that have lots of water in them is that after I cut them I let them sit on a paper towel for a few minutes. Typically the whole paper towel becomes wet. I do ‘this with cucumbers and tomatos and peppers.5 stars

72. Brandi Buller says

Your frito idea seriously changed my salad loving life! I adapted it probably a year ago and before that, I used to hate the idea of a salad. Now I can litterally eat it for every meal! With minimal oil and vinegar too! It’s the gateway drug to salad loving! Thank you!!5 stars

• Mary says

I love this comment! Fritos really are the trick to loving your salads, aren’t they? I’m thrilled that you’re enjoyed more salads too.

73. Eric says

I like to put pork rinds on my salad. Great taste and crunch, extra protein, and best of all, no carbs!

Thanks for the inspiration. I just did up all my salads for the week.5 stars

74. alex says

i love all these ideas for salads!
    i’m still in high school, so my salads usually consist of baby spinach, chopped cucumber, and cherry tomatoes, topped with a small tin of lemon & pepper tuna, which i don’t drain because i don’t use dressing, but that gets a bit boring after a while, as you can imagine, so i’ve been trying to spice up my lunches, and i think i’ll try these ideas out when school goes back 🙂
    also, my personal favourite topping for salads is roasted chickpeas! you can buy them, but they’re super easy to make at home (plus you can add as much garlic powder as you want), and they add a lovely crunch.
    thank you for the wonderful post!!5 stars

• Mary says

The video is at the top of this post, right underneath the first photo. If you happen to be running an ad blocker, it will likely not load for you.

75. Sara says

This might be just what my family needs to incorporate salads! Question: Do the containers with paper towels work better than mason jars then? My salad jars would only last 4 days. I’m assuming u remove the towels before adding dressing & eating 😁. Thanks for the article l.

76. Bee says

Eating healthy as a college student is very difficult and expensive, especially if you prepare your meals yourself and everyday something is left over. It’s hard! I found lunchboxes at ikea and i immediately knew i’d change my food game. So these recipes are perfect!5 stars

• deirdrebeth says

A salad + Fritos will always be healthier than a bag of Fritos, or a fast-food burger, or even most made-to-order sandwiches

The idea is to do whatever you need to *eat a salad* every day
      “Healthy” is a goal. “HealthIER” is obtainable even with Fritos in the mix 🙂5 stars

77. Felix says

Lol, none of these salads are healthy. All the calories are coming from fat and oil. You’re sabotaging your efforts.

• Amanda says

Felix, I’m sure you are more than welcome to move along and find something that you prefer, then.

These salads are better than fast food and the majority of fats are coming from good sources like avocado. Don’t want the oil? Don’t use oily things.

The meats you choose can be lean sources (turkey, chicken, 93% lean ground beef, etc) and here’s the fun part – ADD ONLY WHAT YOU WANT.

She’s giving IDEAS, not forcing anyone to do anything.5 stars

• Kelly says

I agree, Contessa is only giving her reader’s several ideas on both creative & easy ways to make salads and everyday part of our diets.
      For me, it goes without saying that I can add, delete and adjust the any of the salad ingredients (low fat dressings/low-fat cheeses/ leans meats etc.) to fit my likes, dislikes and/or the dietary restrictions I may have . Thanks Batefoot Contessa. I’m eating a lot more salads because if your article!!!

78. Julie says

Wow! This post is just what I was searching for! With a New Years resolution to eat healthy and save money on lunches at work. This is going to be a great go to pin for me!5 stars

79. Debbi says

What do you do with the paper towel in the bottom of your salad container? When I make a large salad I put paper towels on top of the salad and turn the container upside down to pull the water out, and I have done this on individual salads as well. I have never lined the bowl with paper towels because it seems like it could get too moist and break down into your salad as you eat it.5 stars

• Mary says

I’ve never had a paper towel break down in a salad container. I remove the paper towel before eating the salad. It works the same way that a paper towel on top of the salad works. I simply found that the containers stacked better right side up vs upside down.

80. Krystyna says

If I cook chicken breast seasoned and chop it up, do you think it will still say fresh if I put in freezer? Also what kind of lettuce and toppings do you recommend with a balsamic vinegar/honey/olive oil dressing ?5 stars

• Mary says

Yes, cooked chicken will keep in the freezer. However, it often dries out a bit. I typically add a tablespoon or two of water to the chicken when reheating it. Just about any vegetable will work with a balsamic dressing.

81. KElly says

Felix, please don’t take this as criticism but, I believe Contessa is “only” giving her readers creative, diverse & easy ideas and ways make & include salads in our everyday. I’ve been a chef for 30 years ( recipe development). If you ever read the recipes on the back of those plastic bags and containers of salad greens, that’s me writing those recipes, yet even I am challenged when it comes to beung inspired to eat salads everyday.
    Contessa’s article & the way she presented the salads in those square plastic containers inspired me to make salads more salads and got my creative juices going again. Contessa gave us several ideas, options, & guidelines for making salads and for me, it goes without saying that Contessa’s salad suggestions were so diverse that it gives the reader the freedom to, delete & adjust the salad ingredients to their liking.
    I’m intelligent enough to know she gave her reader ”carte banche” to add, delete and/or adjust any of
    the ingredients to my dietary likings,
    my diet needs and restrictions.
    With salads, the skies the limit.
    Thank you Barefoot Contessa!! I live where it’s about 12 degrees outside right now and salad ingredients haven’t been at the top of my grocery list these past 3 months. To be honest, making and eating salad has been an effort lately. Reading Contessa’s ontessa’s article seemed to wake up my creative juices & helped me to realize “again” how I can include ingredients in my salads to make them a complete meal so it’s not such an effort to make “ a salad” like before I read her article. But that’s me!! After reading the article, fresh veggies & almost all the other salad ingredients & containers she listed “ARE NOW” at the top of my grocery list.
    I loved, loved, loved the idea of making part of the salads ahead of time & storing them in individual salad containers.
    I’m on my way to the grocery store right now..
    Thank you, thank you, thank you Barefoot Contessa.
    I so enjoy all of your articles.

• Nicole says

All of you calling her the Barefoot Contessa are seriously confused. Ina Garten is the famous food network chef with the show Barefoot Contessa. This blog is by some regular person named Mary Younkin.

• Mary says

You’re so very right, Nicole. I’m as ordinary as it gets. 😉 Huge respect for the lovely Ina, but I’ve long since stopped trying to clarify the confusion.

82. anna says

I think this blog has a lot to offer and could be worth following, but are you aware of the number of popups and intrusive adds? Im not against adds, but they are making it difficult to read.

• Mary says

Hi Anna, thank you for understanding that the advertising on this site makes the site possible. That said, there shouldn’t be any pop-up ads. If you do see one, please screenshot it and send it to me, so that I can have my ad company block it.

83. Beth Rogers says

Thank you for the ideas on jazzing up a daily salad. I try to make salads for at least the beginning of the work week for me and the mister … but sometimes you just get in a rut. Great ideas and flavor combos. I don’t use paper towels to dry my salad, I invested in a salad spinner years ago. BEST BUY EVER!!!! I’ve gone thru at least 2 during my married life (23 years). The spinner makes it so much easier to process the greens. Thanks again!4 stars

84. Suzanne says

This was a good read! It can be such a challenge to have the desire to make a salad and work it into daily meal prep. This is very do-able!5 stars

• Sunny says

Using a salad spinner to completely dry the greens, then placing paper towels at the bottom of the containers you store them in helps.

• Lori says

All these ideas sound yummy! Question I have always had with salad prepped ahead for on the go meals: You put the protein in your container with salad but then you have to warm the protein? Feels like a dumb ? but never figured out how this works. How do you take these for lunch at the office or school or wherever? Not being sarcastic, serious question:)

• Mary Younkin says

Hi Lori, in the post I explain that I store the proteins separately and warm them before adding them to the salads. (In the video they are included, as my family ate the salads at that time.) I hope that helps!

• Lori says

Thanks for the response. Your answer is what I guessed. With the increased popularity of jar salads and meal prep for lunch in the go, everyone’s pics make it look like protein is packed with it. I just always wondered if anyone actually ate cold hamburger meat 😉.

85. jamie says

Its easy to come up with unhealthy salads that are full of meat, eggs, cheese and high fat toppings/dressing and not get bored. Would be nice to see healthy low fat salad ideas that you could eat everyday. Most of the salads I am coming across are so high in fat and calories dense you might as well skip the lettuce. :0

86. Stephanie says

How do you keep the toppings from making the salad soggy? I travel and would love to prep some of these for my meals. Thx for your ideas.

87. Maliha says

Thank you very much for sharing these different kinds of salad which is very helpful for us who are on diet. Without salad dieting is impossible. If you take rice, fastfood forget dieting. We need these types of salad recipes. I we eat salad our Granite kitchen floor will nit and clean.5 stars

88. Jordan says

This helped me lose 20 lbs one summer. I’d always had a hard time eating salads, but the preparation and variety made this possible for me to do. Thank you!5 stars

89. Shamir says

Hello Mary Younkin,

I am Shamir from Singapore. For a person with absolutely no clue on where to begin on how to make salad, the instructions accompanied by the beautiful pictures are absolutely fantastic! It is very, very detailed and specific. Exactly what I am looking for! This will definitely help me as I am embark on a journey of healthy eating. Thank you Mary Younkin, may God bless you!5 stars