I’m feeling very Mary Poppins over here as I realize that just a spoonful of sugar transformed my favorite tomatoes into something altogether different!
Perfectly bite size tomatoes are marinated in a combination of oil, vinegar and spices with just the right amount of sweetness.
I am sold on this flavor combination. I’ve always liked tomatoes, but these are irresistible! I couldn’t stay out of them all afternoon as they were marinating on the counter and in the refrigerator.
I kept telling myself I needed to stir them to make sure they were marinating just right. Somehow that wound up in a taste or two each time. Consider yourself warned, these are addicting.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 10 basil leaves sliced very thinly
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds bite size tomatoes halved, I used campari, cherry, grape and sunburst tomatoes
- Combine everything except the tomatoes and whisk together in a large bowl. Add the tomatoes and toss well. Allow the tomatoes to marinate at room temperature or in the refrigerator for a few hours. If you prefer your tomatoes chilled, place the bowl in the refrigerator for an hour or so before serving. The tomatoes will create their own amazing marinade as they rest.
- These are so delicious. I am already thinking about what I might do with the leftovers tomorrow. There is no way I'm letting all of these juices go to waste!