Crisp sweet apples, chewy cranberries or raisins, crunchy pecans and onion, and extra-sharp cheddar cheese are tossed with shaved Brussels sprouts before being drizzled with a tangy-sweet vinaigrette to create the ultimate Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
I first tried a shaved Brussels sprouts salad at the airport quite a few years ago. My jaw dropped that raw Brussels sprouts could be so very delicious.
Since then, I’ve ordered a Brussels Sprouts salad just about every time one pops up on a restaurant menu.
There is simply some irresistible about that extra bit of vegetable crunch. This salad is everything I’ve loved best about all of those restaurant salads. It’s a winning combination of all the best flavors and textures!
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipe
This salad is loaded with crunch and flavor from Brussels sprouts, apples, pecans, and onions. Most of the time I make this salad with golden raisins, but it’s equally delicious with dried cranberries – and I often do a bit of each when I have them on hand.
Just a bit of shaved or crumbled extra-sharp cheddar or parmesan cheese will add another layer of flavor to the mix. Lastly, you’ll toss the salad with a tangy-sweet honey and apple cider vinaigrette.
I typically make this salad right before I want to serve it, but it can also be prepped in advance and then tossed with the dressing just before serving.
If you happen to be lucky enough to have some of the salad leftover, the crunchy Brussels and apples will keep nicely for about 24-48 hours, even after being tossed with the vinaigrette.
The salad might not look quite so colorful or pretty the next time you eat it, but it will still be very tasty!
Brussels Sprouts Salad Ingredients
- Brussels sprouts
- golden raisins or dried cranberries
- chopped pecans
- red onion
- extra-sharp cheddar or Parmesan cheese thinly shaved or crumbled
Brussels Sprouts and Apples
My love for Brussels Sprouts began with this recipe for Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples. The combination of flavors is just fantastic.
If you’d told me 20 years ago that Brussels Sprouts would someday be one of my favorite vegetables, I wouldn’t have believed you.
Over the years though, I’ve come to love so many Brussels Sprouts Recipes!
More Salad Recipes To Love
Salads are one of the all-time most versatile meals out there. Like soup, salad can be a one-dish meal with the potential to cover all the basic food groups.
When I figured out How to Eat Salad Every Day (and actually like it!) a few years ago, it was a bit of a game-changer.
Ever since then, I’ve been prepping salads on the weekend to enjoy as easy lunches through the week. Southwestern Steak Salad and the Southwest Chicken Salad are a couple of my favorites along with the classic Taco Salad that I make on a regular basis.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts shaved or sliced very thin
- 2 medium Fuji, Pink Lady, or Honeycrisp apples thinly sliced and chopped
- ⅓ cup golden raisins or dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons red onion very thinly sliced and chopped
- ¼ cup extra-sharp cheddar or Parmesan cheese thinly shaved or crumbled
- ½ cup light flavored olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Combine the oil, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper in a small jar and shake to combine. Set aside.
- Combine the Brussels Sprouts, apples, raisins or cranberries, pecans, and onion in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing and toss well to coat. Add the cheese and lightly toss again.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper, as needed. Serve immediately.