Edited to add: Five years later, this is still a family favorite. My kids happily eat Brussels sprouts when they are served this way and everyone else that has ever tried this in my home has raved about it. This is one of my all-time favorite side dishes.
Brussels Sprouts with Grapes and Walnuts by Foodie with Family
Easy Brussels Sprouts Gratin by Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Red Potatoes with Brussels and Sausage by Barefeet In The Kitchen
Bacon and Brussels Sprouts Salad by Recipe Girl
Cheesy Brussels Sprouts Dip by Baked In
Brussels Sprout Carbonara by The View from Great Island
- 3 slices of bacon cut into 1" pieces
- 6 cups medium Brussels sprouts ends trimmed and then halved
- 1 medium apple I used a Fuji apple, cut into 1/4" slices and then halved
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange bacon in a single layer on a large baking sheet. I lined my baking sheet with the silpat mat, but I'm not certain it was necessary. Bake for about 10 minutes, until cooked through, but not yet crispy.
- Remove the bacon pieces from the sheet and set aside. Add the Brussels sprouts and toss them in the bacon drippings. Make sure they are as well coasted as possible. Season well with salt and pepper. Roast them until they begin to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the apple pieces and the cooked bacon to the Brussels sprouts on the baking sheet and roast until the sprouts are tender and browned and the apple has softened a bit, about another 10-15 minutes.
- Toss everything with the vinegar and serve immediately. Enjoy!
(Recipe originally published 2/25/12 – notes and photos updated 5/23/17)