This is not your everyday cookies and cream ice cream. (Although don’t get me wrong, I love a great cookies and cream ice cream!) The base of this ice cream tastes just like Oreo cookies, not like vanilla ice cream with chunks of Oreos. Oreos are a weakness of mine and I have to admit that they are very rarely allowed into my house, because I admittedly have NO self-control when they are near me. There just isn’t a made-from-scratch option that can compare for certain things.
I had an idea for an Oreo ice cream a while back and I couldn’t get it out of my mind. I picked up the Oreos at the store and as soon as I got home I dumped a dozen of them into the blender and pulsed them into powder. Combining those fine Oreo crumbs with the cream and milk made for a rich, smooth ice cream base that tasted exactly like our favorite store-bought cookies!
- 24-36 Oreos or chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place 12 cookies in the blender and pulse to turn them into very fine crumbs. Add a cup of milk and puree until well combined. Add the cream, sugar, salt and vanilla. Puree again until the mixture is smooth. Pour into the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
- While the ice cream is churning, chop the remaining cookies into bite-sized pieces. (I quartered our cookies.) I've made this with a dozen chopped cookies and with two dozen. My personal preference is for more cookie pieces in the ice cream, although it's pretty darn good both ways.
- When the ice cream has finished churning, transfer it to a freezer safe container and stir in the chopped cookies. Cover with an airtight lid and freeze until ready to serve. Enjoy!
~ Click here to Subscribe to Barefeet In The Kitchen by Email and receive new recipes in your inbox every day. ~
ONE YEAR AGO TODAY: Orange Parsley Salad with White Balsamic Vinaigrette
TWO YEARS AGO TODAY: Pico De Gallo – Simple Mexican Salsa