Crispy fries and melting cheese curds are topped with flavorful sausage gravy and an over-easy fried egg to create this unforgettable Breakfast Poutine.
I tasted poutine for the first time while visiting Montreal a few years ago. It was love at first bite. Poutine starts with hot fries, gooey cheese curds, and a scattering of whichever toppings you like best. Then a rich gravy is poured over the top.
Much like the way I dreamed up Frito Pie Huevos Rancheros, I had the idea for a sausage gravy covered Breakfast Poutine and I simply had to try it. When I told my boys about this recipe idea, they were practically bouncing with excitement. I’m not at all surprised that it turned out as amazingly delicious as it is.
I could eat this Sausage Gravy with a spoon, and I may be guilty of doing just that. This is an indulgent breakfast that is worth every easy moment spent in the kitchen. Toss the fries in the oven, stir the gravy together, melt the cheese over the crispy fries, and then layer it onto plates.
Breakfast Poutine is one heck of a weekend breakfast and I can hardly wait to make it again. Want a few more weekend breakfast ideas? Pecan Praline French Toast Bake is a sweet favorite and these Ham and Cheese Waffles are the best possible combination of savory and sweet. Eggs Benedict Strata is an easy family-style twist on the classic and these Red Pepper and Baked Egg Galettes are one of the prettiest breakfasts I’ve ever seen.
- 24 ounces frozen french fries, seasoned or plain
- ½ pound regular or hot breakfast sausage
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- ¼ - 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4-6 ounces cheese curds, roughly chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the fries in a single layer on a large sheet pan. Cook in the center of the oven and set a timer for 25 minutes, stirring once after 15 minutes.
- While the fries are in the oven, cook and crumble the sausage in a large stainless skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the browned sausage with flour and toss to coat. Add the milk, salt, and pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- When the timer for the fries goes off, push the fries together in the center of the pan and add the cheese curds on top of the fries. Return the pan to the oven and cook an additional 5-8 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- While the cheese and fries are finishing in the oven, melt ½ tablespoon butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. When the butter begins to foam, tilt the pan to coat the bottom with butter. Add 2 eggs to the skillet. When the edges of the eggs turn white, season lightly with salt and pepper. Add a tablespoon of water to the pan and cover with lid. Cook for 2 minutes, until the eggs are done to your liking.
- Scoop the cheesy fries onto plates and top with gravy. Slide an egg over the top and sprinkle with green onions. Enjoy!