Kitchen Tip: I use this skillet to make this recipe.
- 1 pound mild breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup all purpose or brown rice flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 - 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary about 2 teaspoons chopped
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, cook the sausage, crumbling the meat as it browns. Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and stir to coat. Add the milk, salt, and pepper. Stir while bringing to a simmer and continue cooking for about 5 minutes while the gravy thickens.
- Add the rosemary. Stir and taste the gravy, adjust salt and pepper as desired. Remove from the heat and serve immediately over warm biscuits. Enjoy!
Season the gravy lightly with salt and then taste it, adding more salt, 1/4 or a 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until the gravy tastes right. The amount of salt you need depends on the type of sausage that you use. Some breakfast sausages are heavily seasoned with salt and pepper and others are very lightly salted. Gravy requires a good bit of salt to bring out all of the flavor. Classic breakfast sausage should require about 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the “all natural” sausage varieties I’ve used with this recipe require about 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
Here are a few more gravy recipes that you might enjoy:
Caramelized Shallot Bacon Gravy by how Sweet Eats
Paprika Gravy (with Swedish Meatballs) by Kalyn’s Kitchen
Mushroom Gravy (Vegan) by Gimme Some Oven
Sausage Gravy Biscuit Casserole by Shugary Sweets