I’ll go ahead and admit that I am a bit of a waffle snob. I wouldn’t dream of ordering waffles from a restaurant. For years, I made our favorite Whole Wheat Waffles on a regular basis. After more than a few botched attempts, I am very happy to finally have a gluten free waffle that meets my standards.
Light and fluffy in texture while staying crisp on the outside; these
are really great waffles, whether you are in the habit of eating gluten
free or not. I loved this version. The batter was thinner than typical waffle or pancake batter, but it worked beautifully.
Whole Wheat Waffles with Waffle Sauce
German Pancakes with Orange Sauce
- 1 1/3 cups brown rice flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca starch
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk or 1 3/4 cups milk plus 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- Preheat the waffle iron. Make the buttermilk and set aside. Whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the milk and eggs and whisk to combine. Add the melted butter and whisk once more. Pour onto a hot waffle iron and cook until lightly browned. Serve with the toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
- FREEZER MEAL: Let the waffles cool completely, before storing them in an airtight ziploc bag. Reheat the frozen waffles in a toaster oven or in the microwave.