This Homemade Rocky Road Ice Cream is creamy chocolate and almond flavored ice cream loaded with chewy marshmallows, crunchy almonds, and flecks of chocolate. Ice cream is the perfect way to celebrate nearing the end of summer. (For those of us living in the desert, the end of summer is a serious reason to celebrate!) And as you already know, I can never have enough ice cream in my life.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Whisk together the sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium-size saucepan. Add the cream and milk, stir, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat while stirring frequently. Lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate chips, vanilla, and almond extract. Stir to dissolve the chocolate. Let cool and then refrigerate for at least 6 hours, until cold.
- Pour the chilled mixture into your ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. When it has finished churning, transfer to an airtight container, add the marshmallows and almonds and stir to combine. Cover and freeze until ready to serve. Enjoy!