Tangy, sweet pineapple rice is a unique side dish that was inspired by this Hawaiian Huli Huli Chicken. I wanted something sweet and just a bit tangy and the rice worked out beautifully.
This would also be delicious with Salty, Spicy, Sticky Chicken, Sweet and Spicy Glazed Salmon or just about any other main dish imaginable. My boys went a little crazy over this rice and repeatedly told me how much they liked it.
* I’ve made this rice both with and without the cilantro and lime. Both versions were tasty. The cilantro lime version was preferred by the adults and the kids preferred the more simple and sweet version.
Pineapple Rice with Cilantro and Lime
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple tidbits if using canned tidbits, reduce the above water by ¼ cup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 green onions very thinly sliced, about ¼ cup
- Optional: 2-4 tablespoons chopped cilantro and 2-4 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice adjust both to taste
- Combine the rice, juice, water, pineapple and salt in a large saucepan or skillet with a lid. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir and then reduce to a low simmer and cover with lid. Simmer for 16-18 minutes, until the rice is tender. Stir to fluff the rice and add the onions, along with the cilantro and lime if desired. Enjoy!
9 Comments Leave a comment or review
I made something like this years ago, and then forgot about it! Thank you for reminding me!
Inside a British Mum's Kitchen says
Lovely lovely rice dish, great flavors – this could be a winner in my house!
Sue/the view from great island says
I'd love to use this rice as a base for fried rice, or a stir fry, the lime, cilantro and pineapple combination really appeals to me 🙂
Carrie B. says
We had a Spicy Mango Chicken the other night with coconut rice. It was really good…. but I think this rice would have made it even better! This sounds awesome and I can't wait to try it.
Lisa @ The Meaning of Me says
This is a perfect side dish suggestion – my gang will love this!
LOVE LOVE LOVE! And it smells so good whole cooking!
Mary Younkin says
I’m so glad that you love the rice!
Can I use reg rice
Mary Younkin says
That will work fine, Marni.