Sweet Jasmine rice cooked with plenty of herbs and then topped with a pat of butter was an excellent match for the Lemony Garlic and Herb Halibut.
I tend to use my rice cooker most of the time simply because I can start it, walk away and have the rice turn out perfectly every time. The downside is that it takes more time that way.
When I’m in a hurry, the stove-top is always the fastest method. This was a simple side dish with a lot of flavor. For a super tasty dinner in very little time, pair this rice with 15-Minute Honey Garlic Chicken. You’ll have dinner on the table before you know it.
Italian Herb Rice
- 2 cups Jasmine rice
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh basil or ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (be sure to reduce this amount if you are using a store-bought chicken broth)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Combine the rice, chicken stock, and any DRIED herbs in a large saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid.
- Simmer covered over low heat for 16 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the herbs, if using FRESH herbs.
- Stir in a tablespoon or two of butter and fluff with a fork. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
12 Comments Leave a comment or review
I'm going to have to prepare rice this way from now on! All those herbs must add so much great fresh flavor!
Sounds delicious!! I love dressing up plain rice with fresh herbs… and the possibilities are endless!
Big Dude says
We don't eat a lot of rice but Bev really likes her rice cooker now that she's figured it out – the first two batches left a little to be desired.
Tricia @ Saving room for dessert says
I can't stop thinking about this beautiful recipe and the presentation is great. I have halibut and rice on the brain now 🙂 You are always inspiring me!
Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover says
I must try this rice when I cook up a Western meal next time. By the way, are you living in Italy Rome right now?
I love this! Bookmarked.
Inside a British Mum's Kitchen says
lovely addition with the herbs – yours is the second time today I've seen a recipe for rice using butter – why haven't I ever thought of this!!
We had Jasmine rice for dinner…and I wish we had added some extra flavor. This looks just lovely, my friend! Thank you for sharing it with us tonight!
Denise [email protected] Brazil To You says
Mary: The wonderful aroma of this lovely Italian herb rice has touched my imagination in such way that I am wishing to have a good bowl of it.
Bren ML says
Just made this tonight although I didn't have fresh herbs on hand so I used dried and it turned out perfect in my rice cooker. Thank You for sharing this recipe.
My go to Rice recipe!
Mary Younkin says
I’m glad you like the rice, Kari!