The Best Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches start with perfectly chewy cookies. Over the years, I’ve made ice cream sandwiches using many different cookies.
In the end, I simply love the way the flavor in these oatmeal peanut butter cookies adds to the overall awesomeness of this frozen treat.
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
I’m happy to tell you that I’ve found the cookie recipe that works perfectly every single time. This cookie recipe is adapted from my grandmother’s recipe for Monster Cookies and I suspect that it may have been YOUR grandmother’s recipe as well.
When I discovered that the Monster Cookie recipe in my best friend’s cookbook from her mom was almost the exact same recipe that my grandmother used, it became even more fun every time I made those cookies.
I love that we all have so much sentimental attachment to our family recipes.
In the past, I’ve made Monster Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches using the original recipe, but I found that with a few tweaks, it was even better.
By adapting that recipe to make it a little bit chewier and less crunchy, it freezes and softens beautifully when it is layered with ice cream.
Ice Cream Sandwiches
I love making ice cream sandwiches with homemade ice cream. This recipe for Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream is hands down the easiest and best one you’ll ever make. For these sandwiches, I churned a batch of ice cream while I started making the cookies. Then I stashed the ice cream in the freezer while the cookies were baking and cooling. The ice cream was firm enough to assemble the sandwiches by the time the cookies had cooled.
FREEZER STORAGE TIPS: The ice cream sandwiches can be stacked in a large airtight container and they will keep well that way. They can also be wrapped individually in foil. I do not recommend storing them in zip-close or sandwich bags, they will absorb some of the plastic smell and I really didn’t like that. For what it’s worth, no one else in my family was bothered by it.
Kitchen Tip: I use this scoop both to measure the cookie dough and to scoop the ice cream onto the cookies when making ice cream sandwiches.
The most popular question I get is whether it’s possible to make ice cream without a machine. The answer is YES. You can make ice cream without a machine. Find the full directions here!
The Best Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, or pancake syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups quick 1-minute oats
- 2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cream together the butter and sugars. Add the eggs, vanilla, syrup and baking soda. Add the peanut butter and then the oats. Stir well to combine and then add the chocolate chips, mixing them in thoroughly.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto a parchment or silpat lined cookie sheet. Roll each ball of dough between your hands to make it smooth and round. (Eight cookies will fit nicely on a half size baking sheet.)
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes, watching closely to make sure they do not over bake. The cookies should be barely browned around the edges and just past looking wet on top. Cool on sheet for 1 minute and then remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
TO ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICHES:
- When the cookies are completely cool, scoop 1/3 cup of ice cream onto one cookie. (I use a generous scoopful of ice cream made with the same cookie dough scoop I used to make the cookies.) Then top with a second cookie and press gently to spread the ice cream evenly between the cookies.
- Fill all the cookie sandwiches and then place the ice cream sandwiches on a large tray in the freezer until firm. Enjoy!