Haupia is a sweet coconut cream custard that can be served as firm as jello or softer and more scoop-able like pudding.
My kids flipped over this dessert and requested that I make it again as soon as possible.
Feel free to stack a couple of the pieces. One little square is not enough!
Hawaiian HaupiaPrint Pin Rate
- 1 13 ounce can Thai coconut milk (do not use a lowfat variety)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6-8 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch *
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: toasted coconut for topping
- * adjust the cornstarch according to how firm you want the haupia to be. I preferred it just barely slice-able and more pudding-like as pictured however, my boys loved it a bit more firm like jello.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan and whisk to combine. Add the coconut milk and vanilla and stir again. Cook over medium low heat until thickened. This will take between 10-15 minutes. The mixture should be thick enough to pull away from the pan. Pour into an 8" square pan and cover with lid or saran wrap. Chill in the refrigerator until firm, 8-24 hours. Slice into squares and top with toasted coconut before serving. Enjoy!