An abundance of fresh strawberries, crisp buttery brown sugar covered oats, and chewy sweet coconut are layered into this simple fruit dessert. My husband, kids, and our friends all raved about this dessert and there was only a small serving left the next day.
I served this with homemade vanilla ice cream the day that I made it and I finished it off the next day, a sliver at a time. These bars were heavenly with the ice cream and they were also awesome all by themselves.
Check out all of the Gluten Free Dessert Recipes on this website!
- 5 cups of fresh sliced strawberries about 2 pounds worth
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut - see note
- 3/4 cup brown rice oat flour or all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 10" square baking pan with parchment paper. (an 8x10 dish will work as well.) Place the strawberries in a large bowl and sprinkle with the sugar, cinnamon, salt and cornstarch. Stir to thoroughly coat and then let them sit on the counter for a few minutes while assembling the crust and topping.
- Stir together the oats, coconut, flour, sugar and butter. Spread half of the oat mixture over the parchment in the bottom of the pan. Pour the berries over the crust and then use your hands to sprinkle/spread the rest of the oat mixture on top of the berries.
We love coconut and I use it frequently. If you do not happen to be a coconut lover, swap out the cup of coconut with an additional 1/2 cup of oats and 1/2 cup of flour. It works great both ways.