These brownies have everything I dream of in my chocolate desserts. They are chewy, cakey, fudgy, gooey and delicious! Plus, they are perfect with fresh strawberries. Is there a chocolate in the world that isn’t lovely with fresh berries?
I’ve been baking my way through my favorite dessert recipes this year and seeing which ones can be adapted for baking with freshly ground wheat. I am addicted to my Nutrimill and I love finding new ways to use wheat to replace the standard AP flour. I was absolutely thrilled to discover that this recipe adapted perfectly for use with whole wheat. There was no noticeable change in the taste and I promise that you could not tell the difference. I actually prefer the whole wheat version to the original.
Dark Chocolate Whole Wheat Brownies
- 2/3 cup plus 1 heaping tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Baker's Joy baking spray
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 10 tablespoons 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- Optional: 1/3 cup dark or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl; set aside. Spray an 8-inch baking pan with baking spray and then fit a sheet of foil in pan and up two sides, so you can use it as a handle to pull cooked brownies from pan. Spray foil with baking spray.
- Melt chocolates and butter in a medium bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove from heat; whisk in sugar and vanilla. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each one before adding the next. Continue to whisk until mixture is completely smooth and glossy. Add dry ingredients, whisk until just incorporated. Stir in additional chocolate, if desired.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; bake until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in center comes out with wet crumbs, 35-45 minutes. Cool brownies in pan on a wire rack for five minutes. Use handles to pull brownies from pan. Completely cool brownies on rack, at least three hours. Cut into squares and serve. If not serving immediately, do not cut brownies. Whole brownie cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap, then foil, and refrigerated for up to five days. Enjoy!