Sweet apples and cranberries are combined with crunchy cabbage and then tossed together in a tangy lemon dressing to make this Cranberry Apple Coleslaw. We make this salad through the year, but even more often as the weather begins to heat up here in Phoenix. I shot the video last week when I was making this once again. (And because so many of you have asked, these are the bowls I used in the video. I love them!)
It is definitely the season for side salads. We’ve been grilling almost every night for a couple of weeks and I’m craving all kinds of simple salads for side dishes. I’ve made this Cranberry Apple Coleslaw a couple times over the past month and I’m loving it.
I served this coleslaw with Hawaiian Grilled Chicken Sandwiches and Roasted Potato Salad. The whole meal disappeared in minutes and my youngest son (typically a non-coleslaw-loving kid) even requested a second serving of this coleslaw.
For more great coleslaws and salads, check out our Southern-Style Memphis Coleslaw (you’ll want this one with your pulled pork sandwiches). My friend Sandy’s Best Potato Salad recipes (with fresh corn, bacon, peas, and chives) is on my meal plan for next week. And this Best Ever Boozy Fruit Salad is filled with cantaloupe, blueberries, strawberries, kiwi, and pineapple, then soaked in Limoncello and garnished with fresh mint. I’ll be making that one soon too!
Kitchen Tip: I use this set of mixing bowls to make and store this salad. (Those are the bowls you see in the video.)
- 1 16 ounce bag coleslaw mix or 1 small head of green cabbage sliced very thin
- 2 medium apples sliced very thin
- 1/2 cup dried sweet cranberries or Craisins
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- juice of 1 large lemon about 3 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the coleslaw and toss with tongs to coat, add the apple slices and cranberries. Toss once more to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!