I stumbled onto this recipe a while back on Jenn‘s site and I knew immediately that my husband would love this kicked up version of coleslaw. He and my oldest son are crazy about Sriracha sauce.
I served this with some simple grilled chicken and potato fries for an easy Saturday night dinner. I really wanted to make this good and spicy for them and as a result, I added way more Sriracha than I can tolerate. I didn’t even attempt serving this to my two youngest boys.
The flavors in this salad work great together, but I’m cautioning you to add the Sriracha slowly and taste as you go.
I’ve never been a huge fan of coleslaw, but I really liked the depth that the Sriracha added to this dish. (Before I went crazy and doubled the amounts, that is. Oh well, the spice lovers in the house definitely weren’t complaining!)
- 1 14 ounce bag of coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 teaspoons Sriracha start with about a ½ teaspoon and increase from there, be warned that the full 2 teaspoons was a LOT of heat
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In the bottom of a large mixing bowl, combine everything except the coleslaw mix. Whisk to combine and taste to check the level of heat. Add the coleslaw mix and toss well to coat thoroughly. Let salad rest in the refrigerator at least an hour before serving. Enjoy!