When my boys requested oatmeal for the third time last week, I decided to make something new. We love our Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal and it is still one of my personal favorites. So, this time, I decided to try a baked version of that oatmeal that would really play up the apple pie flavor. The soft apple slices and the tender oats were delicious together. Replacing the oil with applesauce gives the oatmeal a slightly deeper apple flavor. Brown sugar along with a dash or two of holiday spices made this recipe exactly what I wanted.
Are you looking for more breakfast ideas? Check out all of our Top Oatmeal Recipes!
COOK’S NOTE: This oatmeal will hold its shape in slices if you bake it in a 7×9 or 8×8 pan. You can also bake it in a 9×13 pan and it will just be a little bit thinner. If you prefer, it can also be scooped out of the dish and crumbled into each bowl. Remember to adjust the time as needed, depending on the size pan you use. Suggested times are included below.
Check out all of our Oatmeal Recipes!
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce this Brown Sugar Cinnamon Applesauce would be perfect with this
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 medium apples peeled, cored and sliced thin
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease your baking dish very well with butter. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Then add the eggs, applesauce and milk, stirring after each addition. Fold in the apple slices.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture into your baking dish or dishes. Bake a 7x9 pan for about 30 minutes, muffin cups for 20 minutes, deeper ramekins (like the one pictured above) will take about 35 minutes to cook. The oatmeal is finished baking when an inserted knife comes out with moist oatmeal crumbs. Let cool for just a few minutes before serving warm. Enjoy!
- MEAL: Let the oatmeal cool completely and then cut or scoop into portions. Store
- the oatmeal in airtight freezer bags or containers. Reheat in the microwave
- with a tablespoon of water.