This is not your average applesauce. This applesauce is thick, chunky, sweet and full of flavor. You can eat it with a spoon or a fork.
If you’ve never tried homemade applesauce, then you have no idea what you are missing. I started making this a few years ago and it has forever changed my taste for applesauce.
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Applesauce
- 8 apples peeled, halved and cored, I used honeycrisp apples
- Juice from one lemon or the equivalent amount of lemon juice concentrate no more than 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place your apple pieces in the crockpot. Add lemon juice, water and vanilla, sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar on top. Toss to coat thoroughly.
- Cover and cook on low for approximately 6 hours. When the apples are very tender, mash them with a potato masher or a fork until they are the consistency you desire. I like to leave a lot of chunky pieces in the sauce. If you are in the mood, you can even try this.