This Orange Sauce has been a favorite part of our weekend breakfasts for as long as I can remember. My grandmother served this sauce over her German Pancakes and Crepes.
I will be posting a special holiday German Pancake recipe tomorrow to pair with this sauce, it is loaded with seasonal flavors and it is one of my favorite breakfasts I’ve made in months.
Sweet Orange Sauce
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup orange juice concentrate*
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Optional: 1 tablespoon butter
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside. Combine the water and the orange juice concentrate in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk them together and then add the dry ingredients. Cook the mixture, stirring frequently, until the sauce is clear and thickened. This should take about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Serve warm and Enjoy!
- Any remaining sauce will keep well in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- * I buy orange juice concentrate only to make this recipe. You can open the can of concentrate, remove what you need and transfer the remaining amount to a mason jar. Then simply place it back in the freezer until you need it again.