This Orange Sauce has been a favorite part of our weekend breakfasts for as long as I can remember. My grandmother served this sauce over her German Pancakes and Crepes. Every time I make it, I remember fantastic breakfasts in her home. We pour this sauce over pancakes, waffles, crepes, German pancakes and just about any other sweet breakfast food.
I will be posting a special holiday German Pancake recipe tomorrow to pair with this sauce, it is loaded with seasonal flavors and it is one of my favorite breakfasts I’ve made in months.
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup orange juice concentrate*
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Optional: 1 tablespoon butter
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside. Combine the water and the orange juice concentrate in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk them together and then add the dry ingredients. Cook the mixture, stirring frequently, until the sauce is clear and thickened. This should take about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Serve warm and Enjoy!
- Any remaining sauce will keep well in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- * I buy orange juice concentrate only to make this recipe. You can open the can of concentrate, remove what you need and transfer the remaining amount to a mason jar. Then simply place it back in the freezer until you need it again.