My boys love crepes. Truth be told, I love them as well.
We had a lot of fresh fruit in the fridge and I was curious to see how crepes would taste when made with whole wheat flour. As it turns out, I was impressed with the flavor.
The crepes were not at all dry and the whole wheat flavor was barely discernible.
These were a hit with all three of my boys. I love that they enjoyed these as much as some of our sweeter breakfasts and it was still a big treat for them!
Whole Wheat Crepes with Berries
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 cup of milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup plus 1 heaping tbsp whole wheat flour (I used hard white wheat)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Melt the butter in a large glass bowl. Add the vanilla, the milk and then the eggs, whisking it together. Add the dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly to ensure it is all combined.The batter should be very liquid.
- Heat a medium sized non-stick skillet over medium heat. Melt a bit of butter in the pan and then pour a scant ¼ cup of the batter into the pan. (Side note: I did not need to melt any additional butter while making the rest of the crepes) Tilt the pan around to cover the bottom with the batter.
- Let it cook for a minute or so and then flip to the other side. Let it cook another minute or so and then place it on a plate. If you are making crepes for the family, they will keep well, stacked with a sheet of waxed paper in between each crepe, while you are making the rest of the batch.
- Serve folded in half or loosely rolled on a plate. Topped with fresh blackberries, strawberries and a sprinkling of powdered sugar, these are an excellent breakfast treat.
Tried this recipe?Mention @barefeetkitchen or tag #barefeetkitchen!
3 Comments Leave a comment or review
I bought a crepe pan recently and have been dying to use it! These look so easy and super yummy! I will be giving them a try for sure! Thanks.
Inside a British Mum's Kitchen says
My kids love crepes as well, what a delicious treat – they look and sound wonderful
These were fabulous! I had to halve the recipe, but it was still delicious. For anyone who's afraid of crepes – don't be! I'm convinced that anything you smother in powdered sugar and butter is impossible to mess up! How wonderful to have a whole wheat version! Thanks Mary!