Chicken, chiles, beans, tomatoes and Mexican spices combine to make one of our favorite soups. This soup is full of great flavors with a good bit of heat from the green chile and spices. This soup is easily made on the stove-top or in the crock-pot. I’ve included directions for both methods.
- 1.5 lb shredded cooked chicken
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2-3 green chiles chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8-10 oz frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups black beans pre-cooked or (1) can
- 4 cups chicken broth homemade or (2) cans
- 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- Shredded cheese
- STOVETOP METHOD: Place all ingredients into a large pot on the stove. Heat over medium high heat until it starts to boil and then reduce heat and simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- CROCKPOT METHOD: Place all ingredients, except for the cheese, into the slow-cooker in the order listed. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Top with shredded cheese right before serving. Enjoy!
FREEZER MEAL: This soup freezes well. It is a frequent lunch request from my husband and my oldest son. I portion the soup into two cup containers and I then have lunches ready to go for both of them whenever the need arises.