Dinner in just TEN minutes. Seriously. I even timed myself making this soup a second time because it came together so fast. And it was good!
Loaded with our favorite Mexican flavors; this is a slightly spicy soup with chunks of tomatoes, corn, black beans and tender chicken. I topped our steaming bowls of soup with a handful of shredded cheese and the entire family gave this meal two thumbs up.
When I was initially contacted about developing a recipe for Tyson® Grilled & Ready® chicken, I hadn’t bought a pre-cooked package of meat or a meal from the freezer section in quite some time. After checking out the ingredient list on the chicken breast fillets and seeing that it was both corn syrup and preservative free, I agreed to give the chicken a try. Like everyone else I know, I love having a go-to list of meals that require little to no effort to get on the table.
The chicken was so easy to use, even simpler than my usual routine of picking up a roast chicken for the nights when I’m too tired or busy to cook. I warmed the fillets for 30-45 seconds and as soon as they were soft enough to slice, I chopped them up and added them to the soup. Within a couple minutes, everything was hot and bubbling and ready to eat!
10 Minute Southwest Chicken Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth or (2) 14 ounce cans
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn or (1) 14 ounce can, drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans or (1) 14 ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 2 10 ounce cans of tomatoes with green chiles, use a mild version for almost no heat
- 4 Tyson® Grilled & Ready® chicken fillets about 1 cup diced chicken
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Optional: 1 cup shredded cheese I used a Mexican cheese blend
- Place two chicken fillets on a plate and warm them in the microwave for about 45 seconds. They should be barely softened and still mostly frozen in the center. (The idea is to get them just soft enough to cut into chunks.) While the chicken is warming, combine all the other ingredients in a medium size saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to medium high heat.
- Cut the first two chicken fillets into 1/2" pieces and warm the other two fillets the same way. Add the chopped chicken to the soup and stir to combine. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the chicken is warm and the soup is steaming. Ladle the hot soup into bowls and top with shredded cheese. Enjoy!
Disclosure: I’ve partnered with Tyson Chicken to share this recipe with you. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Barefeet In The Kitchen possible. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.