Green chile and chicken burritos covered with a creamy cheesy sauce are perfect for a casual weeknight dinner or a company meal. These smothered chicken burritos received cheers and two thumbs up all the way around the table when I made them last week. My boys have already asked when we can make them again.
The stove and oven portion of this recipe takes just a few minutes and it’s well worth the effort. To make it even easier, the chicken can be cooked ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days before making the burritos.
Burritos are always in high demand at my house. Like creamy refried beans, layered with spicy ground beef, green chile, and plenty of cheese in these Beef and Bean Burritos. These burritos have been such a hit with my boys!
Crispy-edged green chile chicken burritos full of cheesy goodness are an easy-to-assemble mealtime hit, full of green chile flavor.
Slow cookers or crockpots are an appliance of which I have more than one. If you are an avid slow cooker user like I am, you might understand the need for more than one. So, let’s talk about my favorites:
First up is this 6-quart slow cooker that has a locking lid. These crockpots are fantastic for transporting foods. Mine has gone everywhere from church potlucks to barbecues, game nights to Thanksgiving dinner. However, fair warning, these slow cookers run crazy hot. Low is closer to a boil than a simmer, the warm setting actually simmers. So trust me when I say HIGH is high.
My everyday slow cooker is this 8-quart Crockpot. It’s my go-to appliance for cooking large roasts and big batches of chili. Fun fact: did you know that a full 4-quart cooker, actually cooks more slowly than a half-full 8-quart cooker?
For just cooking a few pounds of chicken to shred for enchiladas or other smaller recipes, this 3-quart version is perfect.
If you aren’t a fan of the idea of keeping more than one slow cooker in the house, these CrockPockets are a game-changer when it comes to preparing and holding multiple dishes at the same time. They slide into a standard 6-quart crockpot, dividing it into two sections that are perfect for serving different side dishes or keeping taco fillings warm for parties.
Slow Cooker Smothered Chicken Burritos
- Chicken filling ingredients:
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Burrito ingredients:
- 6-8 flour tortillas or 12-16 corn tortillas
- 7 ounces chopped green chile
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons light flavored olive oil
- Sauce ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour or brown rice flour
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Sprinkle with cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover with lid and cook on low for 3-4 hours. When the chicken can be easily pulled apart, shred it and toss it in the juices in the crockpot.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Transfer the chicken to a large bowl, add 1 cup of shredded cheese, and the green chile. Stir to combine. Scoop the chicken mixture into the tortillas, about ¾ cup of filling fits nicely in each flour tortilla. (About ⅓ cup of filling fits easily in the smaller corn tortillas.) Roll them up and place them snugly into a baking pan. Brush with olive oil. Bake 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned and crispy.
- While the burritos are in the oven, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly add the chicken broth and whisk until smooth. Add the cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes, whisking and simmering until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Add the sour cream and the remaining cheese, whisking until smooth again. Pour the sauce over the crispy burritos. Enjoy!
Here are some more burrito recipes you might like:
Chipotle Shrimp Burritos with Avocado Crema by Foodie Crush
California Carne Asada Burritos by Carlsbad Cravings
Mojo Chicken Burrito Bowls by Barefeet In The Kitchen
Breakfast Burritos, Campfire Style by Taste and Tell
Chorizo, Potato, and Queso Burritos by Center Cut Cook