Homemade Peppermint Ice Cream. This is some of the creamiest ice cream I have ever made and for the record, it is nothing like the mint flavored ice cream you can find in a store. Pure peppermint deliciousness from start to finish without even a hint of a chemical or mass produced flavor. This Peppermint Ice Cream is surprisingly light, sweet, and minty. I think I dipped a spoon into the freezer container about 15 times the first time I made this and I’m not even a huge fan of peppermint!
Peppermint Ice Cream is a spectacular combination of winter flavors and summer refreshment. I can promise you now that I’ll be making this Candy Cane Ice Cream in June, just wait. I’m trying, I really am, but there aren’t even words to describe how fantastic this ice cream is. If you hang out with me on Instagram, you may already know that it blew my mind last week. I’m still so impressed with this ice cream, I’ve made two more batches just to share it with friends.
- 3/4 cup very finely crushed candy canes about 30 Starlight candies or miniature candy canes
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Optional: additional crushed candy canes for topping
- Place the candy in a food processor or blender and pulse until the candy is broken down into powder. Whisk together the cream, milk, sugar, vanilla, peppermint extract, and salt. Add the crushed candy and whisk until mostly combined. Pour into your ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instruction. Serve immediately for soft serve ice cream or transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm. Enjoy!