Hearty Italian Vegetable Beef Soup is filled with chunks of ground beef, plenty of vegetables, and generous Italian spices. This soup is inspired by the Italian Vegetable Soup that has been a family favorite for over 15 years. Italian Vegetable Soup was actually the first recipe I posted on this blog almost 5 years ago.
My husband has been taking one version or another of this soup to work with him for lunch at least a couple times a week for years. The soup freezes beautifully and I almost always have a few servings tucked away for those lunches.
This Hearty Italian Vegetable Beef Soup is deliciously filling while remaining low in calories and completely grain-free. As an added benefit to anyone tackling a new way of eating this year, the soup falls under both Whole30 and Paleo diets.
My husband Sean is kicking off the year with a month of very clean Whole30 eating. (That might have something to do with all the fudge recipes filled our house through the past month.) For what it’s worth, we are all eating the same foods Sean is, I’m just adding in a handful of Fritos on my salads, wrapping my eggs in a tortilla, and heaven forbid I ever fully give up chocolate.
Kitchen Tip: I used this pot to make this recipe.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small yellow onion diced small, about 1 cup
- 10 medium carrots sliced thin, about 4 cups
- 6 stalks celery sliced thin, about 3 cups
- 6 cups water
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head of green cabbage roughly chopped, about 4 cups
- In the bottom of a large pot, over medium high heat, cook and crumble the ground beef along with the garlic and onion. When the beef has browned, about 8 minutes, add the carrots, celery, and water to the pot. Increase heat to high and add the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cover with a lid. Once the soup is boiling, stir, and reduce heat to medium; simmer uncovered for about 15-20 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
- Taste the soup and adjust the salt as desired. Stir in the cabbage. Simmer a few more minutes, just until the cabbage has wilted. Top with cheese, if desired, just before serving. Enjoy!
FREEZER TIP: This soup freezes well and can be reheated in the microwave straight from the freezer or allowed to thaw in the refrigerator and then reheated on the stove or in the microwave. I store it in two cup containers for easy lunches.