Italian sausages and a whole lot of vegetables created a great soup with ingredients easily pulled together from the refrigerator and pantry. Less than an hour from start to finish and it tasted like something that simmered for hours.
Paired with some warm bread, this was a delicious meal.
Italian Sausage and Vegetable Soup
- 1 1/2 lb 6 links Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups carrots 5-6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups celery 4-5 stalks, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped small
- 2 cups pinto beans pre-cooked or 1 can
- 28 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth or 2 cans
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon kosher salt adjust according to taste
- Place the sausage links in skillet along with 1/4" water. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, turning them about halfway through. Uncover after 15 minutes and cook until browned. (This was about 30 minutes total.)
- While the sausage is cooking, start the rest of the soup. In a large pot, combine everything else. Heat over medium high until it starts to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-45 minutes. When the sausage is finished cooking, remove to cutting board and slice into bite size rounds. Add the sausage to the soup cooking in the pot. Adjust seasonings to taste and keep warm until serving. Enjoy!
- FREEZER MEAL: Let the soup cool completely before transferring to freezer safe containers. Soup can be reheated in the microwave or it can be thawed first and then reheated on the stove-top.