Rich, creamy, buttery, and loaded with spices, Hot Buttered Rum is an unforgettable drink that’s perfect for any cold weather occasion. This non-alcoholic hot buttered spice drink is Hot Buttered Rum‘s tamer sister; although, truth be told, this version is pretty awesome with a splash of rum added as well.
The first time I made this non-alcoholic version of our Hot Buttered Rum, my kids went crazy over their warm spiced drinks. They’ve declared this treat “better than hot tea, and hot cocoa, and probably better than coffee” (not that they would really know about that one).
Hot Buttered “Rum” is one of my favorite hot drinks to make. Once you’ve stirred the buttered spice mixture together, you can keep the mix in the refrigerator and stir a cup together anytime you like.
Want a fun tip? The spice mixture is awesome in coffee and hot tea as well as with hot water. I especially love that this lightened up version with Monk Fruit In The Raw. With half the sugar, it has all the flavor and sweetness of the original. Whatever the occasion, this is a terrific recipe to have up your sleeve whether it’s for guests at a dinner party or a casual night at home.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup Monk Fruit In The Raw bakers bag or 24 packets of Monk Fruit In The Raw
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/16 teaspoon ground cloves
- For serving:
- boiling water
- half and half or heavy cream
- good quality dark rum optional
- Combine the butter, sugar, Monk Fruit In The Raw, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and cloves in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined. Use immediately, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make each drink, scoop 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of the buttered spice mixture into a small mug. Pour 1/4 cup of boiling hot water into the cup and stir or whisk to dissolve completely. Add 1 - 2 tablespoons of half and half or cream, and stir once more. Taste, add more water or cream, as desired. Enjoy!
Disclosure: I’ve partnered with In The Raw to share their latest products with you this year. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Barefeet In The Kitchen possible. As always, all thoughts are my own.