Chicken Tortilla Soup is a quick and easy weeknight dinner. Filled with beans and slightly spicy peppers, this simple meal is full of great flavors.
- 1 lb chicken breast diced into 3/4" pieces
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or light flavored olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium yellow onion chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 large poblano pepper diced small, about 1/3 cup
- 1 14 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white or black beans or (1) 14 ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth or (2) 15 ounce cans
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice about half a lime's worth
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings: tortilla chips shredded cheese, diced avocado, lime wedges, minced cilantro
- Warm the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chicken, stir to coat and season with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken, stirring or turning as needed, for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned on all sides. (The inside of the chicken should still be a little bit pink.) Add the onion, garlic and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes until the onions turn clear.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, chicken broth, cilantro and lime juice. Simmer for 30 minutes. Scoop into bowls and serve with the toppings of your choice. Enjoy!