Carrot Cake Pancakes with Maple Cream Cheese Syrup
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour I used freshly ground hard white wheat (if using AP flour, reduce this amount by 1/4-1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shredded carrots this was at least 6 medium size carrots
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup maple syrup
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and spices in a small bowl. Mix the milk, eggs and sugar in a larger bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just to combine. Fold in the shredded carrots, being careful not to over mix.
- Heat the griddle or skillet and melt just a bit of butter in it. Pour the batter onto the griddle in 1/4 cup increments. Cook carefully on medium/high heat, just until the surface starts to bubble. Flip the pancakes carefully and then cook until the other side is golden brown.
- Mix together the cream cheese and 1/2 cup of syrup. Whisk well and continue to slowly add syrup until the mixture is the thickness that you prefer. I wanted to be able to pour ours. As a result, I added the higher amount of syrup to the cream cheese.
- Stack your pancakes on a plate and drizzle with maple cream cheese syrup. Enjoy!