All the rich flavors of classic bread pudding meet French toast in this easy Pecan Praline French Toast Bake. Surprisingly enough, this is a sweet breakfast treat that avoids being cloying.
Fully loaded with pralines and spices, there is enough sugar to make it a treat, without sending my whole family into a sugar crash mid-morning.
My weakness for Pralines goes back to childhood and my annual visit to my grandparent’s house. My grandpa and I would visit Baskin Robbins where his favorite ice cream Pralines and Cream became my favorite ice cream.
Despite the fact I tend to make my own ice cream these days, I still can’t resist a scoop of Baskin Robbins Pralines and Cream when given that option.
Praline French Toast
When I had the idea for this recipe, I knew it wanted it to be super easy and I wanted the praline flavor to be strong. I’m thrilled to tell you that this super easy recipe for Pecan Praline French Toast can be assembled in under 20 minutes and that includes the time needed to slice the bread cubes.
Then you just pop it in the oven until the brown sugar pecan topping has caramelized and each buttery sweet bite is warm and toasted. While we adore the raisins in this recipe, they are completely optional and can be omitted without any problems.
When my sweet tooth wakes up craving something amazing, I have that covered with my grandmother’s German Pancakes with Orange Sauce. That breakfast is an indulgence that everyone who tries it agrees is worth it.
However, before you try anything else, you’re going to want to make this Praline French Toast. You might as well just trust me on that.
Looking for something a wee bit healthier? 2-Ingredient Cream Cheese Pancakes are a low-carb treat that can be made with sweet or savory fillings.
These Simple Strawberry Smoothies are just about the right amount of effort for a busy morning. With just three ingredients, I’m willing to bet you might have all three in the kitchen now.
Next up on my list are these Healthy Whole Wheat Blueberry Cupcakes and Banana Breakfast Cookies. I love having baked treats like these tucked into the freezer for busier mornings when we can just warm them and get out the door.
Speaking of having breakfast tucked away in the freezer, I’m thrilled to tell you that this Praline French Toast freezes beautifully. After it cools, I tuck half of it into an airtight container or a gallon size Ziploc.
After freezing, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or reheat in the microwave from frozen. I typically serve a small portion of this French toast along with scrambled eggs or sausage for added protein.
Praline French Toast Recipe
Kitchen Tip: I use this baking dish to make this recipe. (I love the lid for storing leftovers in the refrigerator too!)
Praline French Toast
- 1 loaf French bread preferably 1-2 days old, cut into 1-inch cubes, about 8-9 cups worth
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup raisins
- TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish and set aside. Use a sharp knife to slice the bread into 1-inch thick pieces and then cut those pieces into 1-inch cubes. Place the bread in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, light whisk the eggs and add the milk, cream, vanilla, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine and pour the liquids over the bread cubes. Use a large spoon to gently stir and coat all the bread cubes. Add the raisins and toss once more to evenly distribute. Transfer the bread mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- In a small glass bowl, melt the butter. Add the pecans and the brown sugar and stir to combine. Drizzle the sugared pecan mixture evenly over the bread in the baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, remove the foil, and bake an additional 20 minutes uncovered. The bread should be toasted golden brown and the pecan topping should be caramelized when it is done baking.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm. Enjoy!