Spicy ground beef, black beans, and fresh spinach are piled onto crisp tostada shells and then topped with plenty of melting cheese. My kids devoured these tostadas in barely five minutes and then asked if we could make them again the very next day.
When I was on the hunt for easy summer meals, my friend Aggie sent me a link for her spinach tostadas. I’d never thought to add spinach to a taco mixture before this and let me tell you, I may do it every single time in the future. The fresh spinach works with the spicy beef in an unforgettable way. Even my avowed spinach hater commented that he couldn’t believe how good the spinach tasted with the beef. If that isn’t a huge win, I don’t know what is.
This beef and spinach taco mixture is so versatile, I tossed my portion into a salad and am planning to serve this over rice later this month. The whole meal comes together in barely 20 minutes, making it perfect for busy nights, lazy nights, and just about any other kind of night.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Mexican spice mix or taco seasoning
- 1 can black beans drained
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves roughly chopped, about 2 cups worth
- 12 tostada shells
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and arrange two racks near the center of the oven. Cook and crumble the beef in a large skillet. Sprinkle with spices as it cooks. When the beef finishes cooking, add the black beans and the spinach. Remove from the heat and stir to wilt the spinach.
- Spread the tostada shells across two baking sheets, divide the beef mixture onto them, and top with cheese. Place the baking sheets in the oven and bake until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes. Enjoy!