Gardens are fun inspiration for new food combinations in the kitchen, aren’t they? I really enjoyed the zucchini in this version of fried rice. I was in the mood for fried rice and this was a great way to use the morning’s harvest.
It is always nice to find a different way to serve the zucchini that has been appearing at our table several times a week.
The rice and vegetables alone would make a great side dish with fish or chicken. I chose to serve it even more simply with just eggs, scrambled for the kids and runny on top for the adults. This was a delicious one dish summer meal.
- 1/2 large red bell pepper cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 " piece ginger peeled and cut into very thin matchsticks
- 3 small squash cut into 1/2" pieces, about 2 cups worth
- 1 large handful baby spinach about 2 cups worth
- 2-4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups cooked cold rice I used Jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and cook the eggs, scrambling them gently, just until set. Remove to a cutting board and set aside. Combine the vinegar, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a very large skillet, over medium high heat, warm the oil. Add the bell peppers and onion and saute for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the garlic and ginger and toss to combine. Continue tossing and cooking for 2 more minutes, until the peppers are beginning to soften.
- Add the squash and cook just 2 or 3 minutes, until it is barely softened. Add the cold rice and toss to combine. Cook for 2 minutes or so, just until the rice is warm. Add the spinach and stir or toss to combine. Cook a minute or 2, until the spinach begins to wilt.
- Add the sauce mixture and stir to coat the rice and vegetables well. Continue stirring, for just a minute, until the liquids are absorbed. Roughly chop the waiting eggs on the cutting board and add them at this point OR skip the scrambled eggs and top the vegetables and rice with a runny egg. Enjoy!