Soft and chewy cookies with plenty of chocolate chips and loads of peanut butter flavor were just the right thing for an after-dinner treat.
These cookies were inspired by several recipes that I have seen recently. I wanted to try a whole wheat version and these were a great success. There is not a discernible wheat flavor to these cookies at all.
Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Servings: 20 cookies
- 1 cup whole wheat flour I used freshly ground hard white wheat
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine butter and peanut butter in a medium size glass bowl and melt in the microwave. (This took only 60 seconds in my microwave.) Stir to combine and then set aside to cool completely.
- Mix the flours, salt and baking soda in a large bowl and whisk to combine. In the same bowl with the cooled peanut butter mixture, add the sugars and stir well to combine. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir again.
- Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and stir well. If you are having trouble combining these, just use your hands until it is all incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips and use your hands to make sure they are evenly distributed.
- Shape the dough into 2" balls. Place on a baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are just slightly browned. Be careful not to overbake. Remove to wire rack. Let cool completely before eating. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @barefeetkitchen or tag #barefeetkitchen!
17 Comments Leave a comment or review
My Journey With Candida says
How good those cookies look. I have been trying to think of a way to substitute the cane and brown sugar with stevia… Cookies just don't seem to work out with out the real sugar.
What the Splenda for Baking? I've used it in muffins. Might it work in cookies. Love this recipe
The Slow Roasted Italian says
Your cookies sound great! Have I tried these???
Becki's Whole Life says
I will have to try these. Love the addition of some WW to cookies. Do you grind your own wheat?? Or maybe you have someone local who does it…that sounds very interesting – I would love to find someone locally that does this.
Barefeet In The Kitchen says
Becki, I have a Nutrimill grain mill. I grind our wheat at home and we love the difference it makes. It only takes a few minutes and it has been well worth the investment for our family.
Donna, you haven't tried these. I made them for a certain brother the other night when he was hinting about needing dessert. I made him take all the leftovers to work the following day. I'm smart like that.
This looks like just like my cup of tea! Or, the perfect things to have with a cup of tea. I win brownie points whenever I bake with peanut butter so these are going in the bookmarked pile too!
Grace In Full Measure says
Oh my, they look soooo good! And the use of whole wheat kind of lessens the guilt 😉
I am a sucker for a good chocolate chip cookie! These look awesome! wish I had 1 or 5 of them right now!
Thick, soft, and chewy cookies are my favorite! These look so good!
I love a good peanut butter cookie…especially with chocolate chips in it! This looks so chewy gooey delicious!
Love the healthy spin! 😀
I wish I had a few of those right now!
Curious Cook says
Aah..cookie..I never seem to never be able to bake a perfect batch..:( But this looks great..lemme try this.. loving the healthy twist..:)guiltless cookies! 😛
Pacheco Patty says
I wish I had one of these for dessert right now!
They really do look good and I like the addition of peanut butter;-)
Wanna Be A Country Cleaver says
These look great! I've tried whole wheat cookies before – but used all whole wheat flour. Not a good choice on my part. Will have to try the 1/2 n 1/2 of flours next time:) ~Megan
Amy J. and Tiffanie A. says
WHOLE WHEAT?!?!?! AWESOME! Now I can eat without the guilt! lol wellll maybe depends on how many I eat!
Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl says
I'm loving your site! Everything looks so yummy–and even better, healthy! Despite the recipes I tend to most often post on my site, we really do try to eat healthy around our place. I'll definitely be stopping by for ideas! 🙂