Tender crisp cabbage, lightly browned potatoes and cannellini beans are combined to create a perfectly simple and absolutely delicious meal. We had this on it’s own for dinner and even my husband agreed that it was surprisingly filling.
I knew as soon as I saw Taylor post this recipe at Greens and Chocolate that I’d be making this dish sooner than later. Having made it once now, I already have plans to make this again (in a less vegetarian style) and add some bacon or sausage.
Even my boys, who are not big fans of cabbage, ate a good bit of this.
White Beans and Cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 medium red potatoes scrubbed and cut into tiny cubes
- 1 small yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked canneli white navy or great northern beans, or 1 can drained
- 1 small head green cabbage finely chopped
- freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced potatoes and a generous pinch of salt (I added at least ½ a teaspoon) and toss to coat well. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 6-8 minutes. Stir the potatoes occasionally to ensure that all sides are lightly browned.
- Once the potatoes are tender, add the chopped onion and cook for 6-8 minutes, until the onions are translucent and lightly browned around the edges. Stir in the cabbage and toss thoroughly. Add another pinch of salt and fresh pepper according to your taste. Add the beans and toss gently. Do not stir too often after you add the beans, as they will break down easily.
- Cover and cook over medium heat just a few minutes, until the cabbage is tender. Sprinkle with cheese right before serving. Enjoy!