Creamy Parmesan Tortellini with chicken and a few handfuls of spinach was a hit with my whole family. When it comes to hearty meals, I’ve really been loving creamy pasta dishes lately.
Tortellini with Chicken
You can cook everything in one pan in under 30 minutes with no worries about your efforts going to waste: when this is on the table, everyone cleans their plates.
Hearty tortellini pasta with chunks of chicken in a creamy sauce was definitely a win. When I asked my kids how they liked the meal, I was met with silence… because everyone was too busy enjoying their dinner.
Using refrigerated cheese tortellini makes this dinner even easier. You just brown some chicken, whisk together a quick cream sauce with chicken broth and heavy cream and toss in the tortellini.
A little garlic in the mix and cornstarch to thicken makes the sauce flavorful, aromatic, and extra creamy. For this Creamy Tortellini with Chicken, I added a generous amount of Parmesan to the sauce at the end of cooking. It melts into the sauce adding even more rich flavor.
Then, naturally, I topped off each serving with even more cheese. How could I not?
Tortellini with Spinach
A creamy cheesy pasta with tender pieces of chicken is all well and good, but I really like having a handful of green vegetables with my dinners.
I love the freshness that a few handfuls of baby spinach adds to this skillet of creamy tortellini. You add the spinach right at the end and stir everything together so the leaves get just the right amount of wilted without turning into mush. Even my child who is skeptical of spinach eats this without complaint.
Keeping refrigerated tortellini on hand is one of my favorite tips for quick homemade meals. From this Cheese Tortellini with Bacon and Brussels Sprouts to Sausage, Tortellini, and Spinach in a Creamy Tomato Sauce to Crispy Oven Fried Tortellini there are almost endless ways to prepare it.
Tortellini is versatile enough that you can reach for it often and no one will get sick of it. My kids request tortellini often and that’s one request I can happily fulfill! I’m never sad when Tortellini recipes are on the dinner menu.
I hope you love this easy Tortellini with Chicken just as much as we did!
Creamy Parmesan Tortellini with Chicken and Spinach
- 1½ lbs chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsps light-flavored olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 24 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded parmesan, divided
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. In a large stainless skillet over medium-high heat, warm 1 tbsp oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken. Saute, turning or stirring constantly, until the chicken is nearly cooked through, about 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, and cornstarch. Stir and continue cooking 1 more minute. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan when they are finished cooking.
- Pour 1 tbsp oil into the hot skillet. Place the skillet back over medium-high heat. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. Carefully pour ½ cup chicken broth into the skillet and use a flat spatula to scrape up the brown bits.
- Add the tortellini and the rest of the chicken broth. Cover with a lid and bring to a simmer. Cook, for 4-5 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the tortellini is tender.
- Add the cream and stir to combine. Lower the heat to medium and let the sauce simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, until it thickens slightly. Add the chicken to the sauce in the skillet, along with 2/3 cup of Parmesan cheese. Stir to melt the cheese.
- Add the spinach. Stir to wilt. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan before serving. Enjoy!