Toasted coconut, toffee bits and chocolate chips create an outstanding cookie with an unexpected crisp toffee surprise on the bottom of each cookie. The cookies are extra chewy from the combination of coconut and toffee bits.
Toasting the coconut for these cookies brought out a nutty, deep coconut flavor. I’ve made the cookies with and without toasting the coconut. The cookies are delicious both ways, but I am partial to the toasted coconut version.
Check out all of the Gluten Free Dessert Recipes on this website!
Toasted Coconut, Toffee and Chocolate Chip Cookies – Gluten Free or Not
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour *
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch *
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup toffee bits
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- * if you do not need a GF version of this recipe simply substitute 1 cup AP flour for the items marked with an *
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat and spread the coconut across it. Bake for 5 -7 minutes, until the coconut is lightly browned and toasted. Stirring once through the baking process. Set coconut aside to cool completely.
- Whisk together, flours, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside. In a second mixing bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar and mix until creamy and smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and the vanilla and mix again. Slowly add the dry ingredients and continue stirring until combined. Stir in the coconut, toffee bits and chocolate chips. Chill for 1 hour before baking. (The chilling is not required, but the cookies will hold their shape better after the dough has chilled. This is especially true for the GF version.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scoop 1 - 2 tablespoon size balls of cookie dough onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the cookies begin to brown around the edges. Let cool for a minute on the baking sheets and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely. Enjoy!