Sugared Shortbread Cookies are buttery, flaky, shortbread-style cookies with a crunchy sugar topping. These sparkling cookies work beautifully with an afternoon cup of tea or a morning cup of coffee, and I have to admit I have been snacking on them pretty much all day long.
I’ve had a lot of fun over the past year playing with all of In The Raw®’s sweeteners and I hope you’ve had fun discovering all of them with me. I’m thrilled to be sharing these amazing Sugared Shortbread Cookies with you today.
These cookies are made with my beloved Sugar In The Raw and the sprinkling of sugar crystals across the top of each cookie is simply irresistible!
If you aren’t already a humongous fan of Sugar In The Raw, let me introduce you to my favorite sugar.
For the past few years, I’ve used these lovely golden sugar crystals in my coffee or tea every single morning and it adds a rich (almost caramel-like) flavor that just can’t be beat.
Sugared Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour *
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated Sugar In The Raw
- * Gluten Free Alternative:
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with the sugar. Add the egg and the vanilla extract and mix until light and fluffy. Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beat until combined. Add the remaining flour and beat once more. The mixture should be dry and crumbly, but hold together when you press it between your fingers.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper (about the size of a baking tray) on the counter and dump the dough out of the bowl on top of it. Place a second sheet of parchment over the dough. Flatten the dough with your hands and then roll it out to approximately 1/4-inch thickness. Remove the top sheet of parchment and place the parchment on a baking tray. Sprinkle the rolled out dough very generously with about 1/4 cup of Sugar In The Raw. Lightly press the sugar into the dough with your hands or the rolling pin.
- Cut into cookies with a circle shaped cutter. Use a thin metal spatula to transfer the cut out cookies to the parchment lined baking sheet, leaving about an inch of space between the cookies. Sprinkle the cookies with the remaining sugar. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until just barely puffed and not yet brown around the edges.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for 1-2 minutes and then use a metal spatula to transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before storing in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Sugar In The Raw® is part of the In The Raw® family of sweeteners, which also includes Agave In The Raw®, Stevia In The Raw®, and Monk Fruit In The Raw®. Find the nearest retailer of In The Raw products here. @InTheRawBrand #InTheRaw